Big 'ole snot rocket!

Triv

That pickerel has been eating! I know most bass anglers aren't fond of pickerel, but I've always loved em. 

Bad attitude - check!  Wicked acceleration - check! Card-carrying member of the razor gang - check!  Willingness to pound a lure - check!  What's not to like!  Nice fish - gorgeous colors on that pickerel.

Every time i see one following my pats i freak! Your pats lived for another day very lucky imo.

So I'm curious - here in CO I intentionally go after northern pike, which are essentially pickerel on steroids and while they've often cut me off when I throw conventional lures or flies at them (especially flies), so far I've had no issues with swimbaits.  I sometimes run a wire leader but more frequently don't.

I've seen a few threads about pickerel where they have a reputation for taking your lures away.  Do the pickerel go for head shots?

I know the northerns I've caught (small - medium sized, never landed one over 40") seem to be targeting the rear or mid-section of the baits more than the head.  I could see a big northern inhaling a swimbait and causing much grief but so far I've not encountered one that big.

Either way, I think they (pickerel, northern pike, and the big mamas, the muskies) are an awesome group of fish that are a ton of fun to fish for.

Just about all the lakes I fish have both pickerel and bass, so there is no avoiding them.  I catch a ton, and I've only lost one swimbait to pickerel and it was a SS freestyle shad.  When it happened, I thought it was the end of the world, but since, I've accepted that regardless of the species and how careful you are, you are bound to loose a bait every once and awhile.  If you are willing to spend a couple hundred on a bait, you have to be willing to loose a couple hundred dollar bait.  Most of the pics that I've seen come from behind and attach, but given the opportunity, I'm sure they would take it from any angle (kinda like this girl a once knew).  They are eating machines (kinda like another girl I once knew).  I digress.....

For the record, I was stoked to catch this fish.  Would I rather catch a big 'ole bass? Yes, but would I rather get skunked? absolutely not!

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Pickeral dont stop when u pause bait and i think that is why there are bite offs of lures....on a side note i once tried to remove a giant crappie a surface struggling pickeral had lodged in its maw. I was unable to remove even with jaw spreaders cuz crappie had basically set onto the hundreds of small teeth they have. It died.

Edited by bigpoppabass

• 3 weeks later...