Weedless hudd

deep

After I lost 4 regular six inch hudds in two trips to rocky snags, I discovered that there's actually a weedless hudd in production. The weedless hudd has two differences from the regular 6". One is of course the hook, the other- and the one that actually helps its cause a lot- is the line-tie. It took me a little messing with an unrigged 8" ROF5 in shallow water to figure out why the line-tie is important.

The weedless hudd may or may not be weedless, but it's certainly very snagless, as while fishing in chunk rocks. Another application I tried it out in is inside lily pads and dense vegetation. Seriously, this thing can go to hell, and come back not getting snagged anywhere.

Other than that; well it's a hudd, so you know how it's fished. Nothing special there. An unusual retrieve that sometime produced for me is walking the dog in shallow water with it, or ripping and pausing. It can be addictive if you can find some bass to play along.

The rod I use is medium-heavy powered. It gets the job done. Personally I like a little moderate action. I use braid + leader on the weedless hudds in rocks, and straight braid for slop-fishing.

P.S. I boil the tail of all my hudds before taking them fishing the first time. It helps.

Forgot to mention:

I fish the ROF 12 almost exclusively. I like how it digs in, and bumps into everything.

Durability: I got 5 fish out of one bait and it was still it good shape before I lost it to a pickerel. I use mend-it a lot. Like after every trip, and even in between.

A little trick I learnt is to make a small incision behind the hook on the body of the bait. I read it on the internet somewhere long ago.

The 6" weedless is a great weedless swimmer for the middle of the water colum. If i need a weedless swimbait for the bottom a mission fish seems to work 100% better. The ROF 12 seems to be the all around performer but the 5 has its place in 1-3 feet. On the CA Delta we have success with it everywhere but this thing threads a needle coming thru the tules/reeds. A slowroll bumping tules the whole cast plain gets bit... with a vengence. I have heard some complaints about hook up ratios but from my experience the missed bites are usually smaller fish. Fish that are 4lbs+ dont miss. Alot of times the keel weight gets off center and the bait will roll on its side but you can move it back. Also if the top hook slot tears it will fill the cavity with water but mend it fixes it fine. Kinda of a pain at times but the bait produces so i dont mind. We fish it on straight braid or straight flouro, I dont really like the leader deal. Braid does the job most of the time, the fish are zero'd in on the hudd. I break alot of internal harnesses when i miss the water and hit a dock but i think i can chalk that to operator error lol. As for durability from catching fish its great cuz they swallow the whole dang thing.

Overall i love the bait and have a box full. Its like all it catches is 5 pounders... they come out and smoke it! biggest yet is about 8lbs.. but the nubmers of 4-6 lbers we caught last year blew me away. Great bait, good price. The only thing that sucks is how the keel weight is easily displaced but its not enough to keep it out of my hand.. this thing is a heavy cover work horse. i hope this helps... kinda rambled i guess, woops

Ceaser

If i need a weedless swimbait for the bottom a mission fish seems to work 100% better.

Ceaser

Not sure if I can agree on that. I lost a couple of mission fish to snags as well. Maybe it's an operator error :D Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess.

As a newbie, I keep it really simple.

Weedless hudds, and 8" ROF5 hudds on the bottom,

68s, 8" ROF5, Matt's soft baits for mid-column, also Matt's slow-sinking hardgill,

Hardbaits on the top.

The other observations are spot on, at least from my limited experience.

its not that it snags less its weighting location is more forward and i like the way it hugs the bottom and bumps cover down there better than the hudd. And fish eating it from the top can suck the mission fish in better so i hook more fish. The hudd doesnt like to fold up in a fish mouth as well as the mission fish. I havent noticed if one snags or hangs up more than the other... braid pulls em out :) and if you bend a hook out the mission fish's is replacable.