Glideator Video???

bdpettit

I have done some searching, and can't find a video of the action anywhere. I know what it should look like, just would like to see it before I bought it. If its as wide as the slideswimmer, then I want it. If its more subtle, then I'll pass.

Can anyone make a video for me, and others, to see the bait in action.

Thanks in advance.

Seems like I saw a video somewhere. Cant seem to find it now though.

The 250 Slide swimmer glide is bad a$$. I doubt that the Rago bait will glide that well.

I could be wrong.

If you search hard enough there are some comparison made between the two.

No comparison between the two (Slide Swimmer and Glideator). The Slide Swimmer has a really wide S type glide where as the Glideator is a bit tighter. Both are awesome but the Deps looks like almost like a real fish the way it swims. The Glideator is 4.5 oz. whereas the Slide Swimmer is 6.5 oz. which somewhat explains the difference in glides. More weight to distribute and shift, the easier it will be to get the bait to glide.

Below is a pic comparing the Gan Craft Claw, Rago Glideator, and Deps Slide Swimmer

-Ali

post-172-14252985568069_thumb.jpg

I absolutely agree with that assessment on the baits. Although personally I preferred the Gancraft to the Rago but thats just hair splitting.

However, the difference in the weight has more to do with the size and volume of the bait as opposed to just arbitrarily making a bait heavier. The Deps is longer and bigger....make a bait just an inch longer and an 1/8 of an inch taller or fatter all the way around and you increased the volume big time and thus how heavy it MUST be to sink. Thats why the baits weigh differently. Once a bait maker establishes the profile of the bait he has no real choice in how much it can weigh and be a slow sinker, floater, fast sinker-that number is predetermined by how much water the bait will have to displace. Thats why you see most 8 inch slow sinking baits around 4-4.5 oz....you don't see one thats 8 oz....physics dictates it.

The exact shape of the bait and distribution of the weight within it are what explains the difference in the actions of these baits. The internals on these three baits are all completely different. Class dismissed...hahahhaha....which one do the fish like best...hmmmm..thats the real question...

JK

However, the difference in the weight has more to do with the size and volume of the bait as opposed to just arbitrarily making a bait heavier. The Deps is longer and bigger....make a bait just an inch longer and an 1/8 of an inch taller or fatter all the way around and you increased the volume big time and thus how heavy it MUST be to sink. Thats why the baits weigh differently. Once a bait maker establishes the profile of the bait he has no real choice in how much it can weigh and be a slow sinker, floater, fast sinker-that number is predetermined by how much water the bait will have to displace. Thats why you see most 8 inch slow sinking baits around 4-4.5 oz....you don't see one thats 8 oz....physics dictates it.

JK

If you look at the profile of the Claw vs the Glideator, they have the same profile but my Glideator glides better due the fact that it has different weight distribution and weighs 26% more. Their displacement is about the same. I actually have 4 Glideators but the one pictured is my favorite with the only difference being that it weighs 1/4 oz more than the others and a full oz greater than the Claw pictured (3.75 vs 4.75). Sink rates aside, my observation has been that the more weight you shift between the joint and the hook eye, the more the bait will glide. I built that slide swimmer out of a silent killer. It took a while and lots of testing to get the bait to glide on the horizontal... mainly having to do with the weight placement in the nose of the bait. Same size, same displacement, more weight- more glide until the weight overcomes the action and causes the bait to go nose-down. So I guess the weight shift is in relation to the total weight/displacement of the bait; which is what I think you were getting at :)

I am not an expert in fluid dynamics but that was the observation I made while tuning my baits. I turn it back to you professor :)

-Ali

The profiles on the glideator and gancraft bait look similar but you can see the glideator is overall taller and not sloped like the gancraft. It has more volume for sure. That means it will have to be heavier to achieve the same sink rate. The actual setup internally and the length of the glide is an entirely different issue. I will agree to the point that there is a sweet spot where total weight can create a forward momentum....there's drag, line toe angles, the amount of travel in the joint..its a cumulative effect of everything..its pretty complicated and I don't pretend to understand all those dynamics...wasn't trying to discredit what your saying. Just explaining why the Deps bait would HAVE TO weigh more than the others to be a slow sinker. The gancrafts a hollow injected bait, the Ragos a urethane bait and the Deps is solid but made from another material so the weigthing in each is totally different. Its interesting to see how technical we get these days...I'm guilty as charged....hahaha..

Glide on....

JK

Thanks for all the opinions. It sounds like the Slideswimmer is the most sought after, with the Gancraft being second.

Ali, thanks a lot for the comparison pics.

Still waiting on the video :D

Ali, you're probably one of the few to have all 3 of the baits. If you could make a video of the 3, you would provide a great comparison of the three baits that may never be seen elsewhere.

Ali, you're probably one of the few to have all 3 of the baits. If you could make a video of the 3, you would provide a great comparison of the three baits that may never be seen elsewhere.

Great idea. I'll see if I can get to some clear water and film some footage. I wish I had a Roman Made to throw in there too :D

-Ali