Butch Brown'd Hudds Forwards or backwards?

Nicky

Hi guys! I've been throwing hudds recently and just got an ROF 5, 8" rainbow trout colored hudd without the top hook as that was the only one available to me. I've Butch Brown rigged many hudds before but usually only 68's and kept the tophooks on 8's. My question is would you keep the whole rig short having only the length of the hook and crimp across the bait or would I extend the wire back to the area where the top hooks usually are by the fin? The only reason I ask is for short bite reasons.

Thanks guys!

Nicky

I've never caught a fish below 4lb on the 8 inch so not sure how smaller fish would eat but who wants to catch those anyways haha. All fish have been hooked in the roof of the mouth, never lost a fish once hooked either. Rigged BB style as close to the line tie as possible. Hope that helps.

I've never caught a fish below 4lb on the 8 inch so not sure how smaller fish would eat but who wants to catch those anyways haha. All fish have been hooked in the roof of the mouth, never lost a fish once hooked either. Rigged BB style as close to the line tie as possible. Hope that helps.

Caught plenty of fish under 4lbs on the 8". You must put some of your mojo on it and only big fish can handle it.

My only issue with putting the treble back by the dorsal fin is that I caught a 6lb bass and he choked the hudd. With the treble that far back, I had to cut the wire and the hook was completely swallowed. Was bleeding pretty bad when I let her go. I switched to a very short BB rig and I've never missed a fish where I got a solid hookset into.  

Caught plenty of fish under 4lbs on the 8". You must put some of your mojo on it and only big fish can handle it.

My only issue with putting the treble back by the dorsal fin is that I caught a 6lb bass and he choked the hudd. With the treble that far back, I had to cut the wire and the hook was completely swallowed. Was bleeding pretty bad when I let her go. I switched to a very short BB rig and I've never missed a fish where I got a solid hookset into.  

Haven't caught many fish on the 8 inch hudd. Just the right ones. Guess I got lucky haha

Its all your personal preference, on my rof 0 and 5 hudds i will either make a short crimped bb rig no more than an inch and a half away from the line tie. I havent had any problems with getting shortbit because 98 percent of all my hudd fish were headshotted. Another good way to keep it short is to do  split ring to a swivel to another split ring to the hook, may be a little more bulkier that the bb crimped but will keep it nice and tight to the line tie. Hope my mumbling helped hahaha

Cool thanks guys! I was just curious as I see many guys rig Hudds&Mags with that back stinger behind the fin so I wasn't sure what to do. I agree though all my hits that I've seen on my Hudds and the ones based on the way they were hooked seemed like all head shots. Thanks again guys!