Hello all, brand new to SU, so I figured I'd jump right in as to why I am here. I live in New York, and I fish lakes in NY, CT, and NJ.  I have decided to dedicate the 2016 season to hunting the biggest bass in these areas using swim baits. I am creating this thread to see if anyone else has had any success in these areas or for general swim bait tips all together. I plan on updating my profile on hear throughout the season, anyone who wants to join me on this is more than welcome and any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the info. Looking forward to getting started. I am confident in them as I was fortunate enough to live in San Diego for 4 years. I am eager to see what ones work here. I was thinking of starting with a perch color Huddleston 68 weedless slow rolled in the early spring then as the water warms maybe going to a bus rat or a triple trout. Have you had any luck with these baits??

Welcome to SU! I'm from Long Island, and also branch out to NJ and (more so) CT from time to time. You will get lots of strange looks when chucking swimbaits around the Island, but our fish eat them just the same. All those baits you mentioned work great around here, but I wouldn't go too crazy with specifically tailoring your baits/fishing style to the Northeast (especially if that means going out of your way to downsize baits). Whichever baits/bait styles you had confidence throwing in San Diego, try it out here. Most of all, don't take anyone's word (that goes double for the DEC) on whether a body of water has big fish in it on Long Island. If it looks fishy give it a shot. I've had numerous experiences where people told me "there's no fish in there" or "everything in there is tiny", and they were completely wrong. Good luck, and hope you have an awesome season!

Good luck Tony, what you will find out throwing swimbaits is what all of us have. Not as many fish, but, usually the fish average bigger in size. That's because the bigger bass do not want to expend that much energy to "Fill Their Appetite", so, it's more worth the effort to pursue the bigger baits, of which most of the swimbaits are. No matter where I fish, i always think of a bass's three main food sources : Baitfish, Frogs, & Crawfish. The lures & time spent imitating these food sources will give anyone with patience, sucess. good luck out there with your learning curve. Like Wayne M mentioned, use the "Search Subject" tab here to gather as much info as you can. 

All the good swimbaits that work in other parts of the country will work in the northeast as well: Glides, rats, Hudds, Hardgills, Slammers, wakes, etc, etc.

Which one will work best on your particular location on a particular day? Hey, figuring that out for yourself is one of the fun parts of this sport!

Welcome to SU! I'm from Long Island, and also branch out to NJ and (more so) CT from time to time. You will get lots of strange looks when chucking swimbaits around the Island, but our fish eat them just the same. All those baits you mentioned work great around here, but I wouldn't go too crazy with specifically tailoring your baits/fishing style to the Northeast (especially if that means going out of your way to downsize baits). Whichever baits/bait styles you had confidence throwing in San Diego, try it out here. Most of all, don't take anyone's word (that goes double for the DEC) on whether a body of water has big fish in it on Long Island. If it looks fishy give it a shot. I've had numerous experiences where people told me "there's no fish in there" or "everything in there is tiny", and they were completely wrong. Good luck, and hope you have an awesome season!

Thank you very much for the info. I got a couple of nice fish this year on other baits, but I want to target the giants that I know are here. There is one lake in particular that I am looking forward to throwing the big baits because I have had a couple of big girls follow my 4.5" Keitech, and I saw pics of an 8lber on the page of the club I fish with that came from that lake. It definitely boosts the confidence hearing that someone has already had success in this area with swimbaits, and now I have a better understanding of where to start. Thank you again for the info, and I hope you catch a giant next season.

Thank you all for the info, I am looking forward to getting started, I hope the winter goes fast. Your feedback has given me a better understanding of how I want to start off the season, I will definitely post some pics as I catch fish and give some feedback on how it went down. Thanks again for the welcome to SU, looking forward to being a part of the Big Bait addiction.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. I live in ct, what lakes have you fished here? Do you fish the sound at all for stripers/blues/fluke/black or the ctr? My favorite baits for my home waters are 6" hudds, slammers, bullshooter jr, 10 tt - 6"  HPH glide gizzard, 316 mission fish, grass minnow(I know hardly a sb) osprey line thru's and optimum line thru's, I have a lot of other baits I fish but those are my goto/confidence baits. Anyway, good luck, if you ever have any questions about ct water, hit me up in a pm.

Justin

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. I live in ct, what lakes have you fished here? Do you fish the sound at all for stripers/blues/fluke/black or the ctr? My favorite baits for my home waters are 6" hudds, slammers, bullshooter jr, 10 tt - 6"  HPH glide gizzard, 316 mission fish, grass minnow(I know hardly a sb) osprey line thru's and optimum line thru's, I have a lot of other baits I fish but those are my goto/confidence baits. Anyway, good luck, if you ever have any questions about ct water, hit me up in a pm.

Justin

I mostly fish Candlewood lake and Squantz pond in Danbury. I am definitely open to fishing some new waters tho. Never fished the sound before, may have to check it out. I will keep in touch, I appreciate the info.