firearms

Bassman88

As a retired NYPD officer, I carried a Smith 5946, I loved it. I currently have a Glock 26 9mm compact. Prefer my Glock 41 which is a full sized 45 ACP. I normally conceal carry a Smith .380.

There a some very good guns out there and with recent advances in ammo tech, 9mm is a great round to carry with. I would recommend the Glock 26 or the full size 19. interchangeable mags, both double stack mags with good capacity....although, you are in the land of "No", so I don't know what your laws are.

Any of you own a firearm? I'm looking at getting a 9mm hand gun. Any suggestions?

Any of you own a firearm? I'm looking at getting a 9mm hand gun. Any suggestions?

bassman before I started fishing again I was a competitor shooter. If I had to suggest a gun to new gun shooters I would ask for what purpose? Home protection? Recreation? One gun that fits most is a Glock 17 or Glock 19. Easy gun to maintain and operate. They are fairly cheap and available almost anywhere. I see you are in California and that's another issue in itself. You have to worry about the California approved handgun list which is ridiculous!!! You could have a gun on the approve list and the same gun in a different color that isn't on the list. So you are limited to certain types of handguns. You had to get creative to get guns that are off roster (via single shot or break actions). If you have more questions PM me. Edited by kahai808

As a retired NYPD officer, I carried a Smith 5946, I loved it. I currently have a Glock 26 9mm compact. Prefer my Glock 41 which is a full sized 45 ACP. I normally conceal carry a Smith .380.

There a some very good guns out there and with recent advances in ammo tech, 9mm is a great round to carry with. I would recommend the Glock 26 or the full size 19. interchangeable mags, both double stack mags with good capacity....although, you are in the land of "No", so I don't know what your laws are.

Glock 26 is sub compact, G19 is compact and G17 is fullsize

Conceal carry permit is a unicorn in Cali...my county allows 10 a year...all selected by the sheriff...I applied and my application had to include a letter...my letter had to state why I wanted to carry a concealed firearm...my response from the sheriff was sorry no way...Wtf

But Back to topic...I have a Ruger sr9...it's not bad for the price...I also have a Sig...love it...

Primary for recreational and obviously home protection. I've done a little research and I'm on the fence between a Springfield XD and Glock 19. Don't want spend no more than $600.

If you can see if you have some friends that have them so you can try them out. Most ranges in Cali won't let u rent them unless you have your own gun.

Shot my brothers Glock 9 last week ( I believe it was the new Gen model) and thoroughly enjoyed it, Glocks are nice because they can withstand punishment... if your looking for better quality the H&K is really nice as stated by Brian above

personally I stick with my .40

Remember the cost of ammunition. 9mm will the cheapest of all pistol ammunition and can be found in most places. Even when you reload the cost of components are more expensive  as you go up in caliber. 9mm would be your best option especially if you are also doing recreational shooting.

Primary for recreational and obviously home protection. I've done a little research and I'm on the fence between a Springfield XD and Glock 19. Don't want spend no more than $600.

That price range you can stay in the Glock, XD, M&P range. All great guns. If you are looking at a 1911 style gun you could do Rock Island Armory and they have one around the $600 range.

Glock 26 is sub compact, G19 is compact and G17 is fullsize

Compact in name designation only.......The Glock 19 is the NYPD duty gun, it is a full sized 9mm. It might be slightly compact when compared to the 17 but it is a full sized frame and larger than the 26. The 26 was the new comer and since the 19 is a slightly shaved down version of the 17 and compact was already designated to it.....well.....hence the sub compact designation for the 26....that IS very confusing and totally not accurate.

Compact in name designation only.......The Glock 19 is the NYPD duty gun, it is a full sized 9mm. It might be slightly compact when compared to the 17 but it is a full sized frame and larger than the 26. The 26 was the new comer and since the 19 is a slightly shaved down version of the 17 and compact was already designated to it.....well.....hence the sub compact designation for the 26....that IS very confusing and totally not accurate.

That may have been true back in the day but glock site clears state different.  http://us.glock.com/products/all