Whats your go to color?

John N

I keep telling my self color doesn't matter. To a point I dont think it does. Green pumpkin and watermelon same thing. In my fishing there are 3 colors. dark colors, bright colors and natural colors. Not to say that bright or dark aren't natural colors. To me they dont look as natural as a typical trout, kokanee, shinner pattern.

With that said The bright colors have been my goto colors. for the darks I like black. for the brights I like white. I fish with Worm a bunch and he likes white so I'll throw the sissy just to mix things up. For the natural colors Kokanee has been pretty good to me.

I think sometimes giving the illusion of something that happens naturaly is better than trying to imitate nature. I think fish especialy bigger fish tend to recegnize oprotunity. Nature COLORS bait fish to blend in. A healthy baitfish might be hard to see or to much effort to chase. sometimes a easy pickins bait fish no longer has the energy to stay up right and the WHITE belly catches light and FLASHES. I think that that flash is like a dinner bell. Fish get used to seeing that flash befor an easy meal. What do you think fish do when they see that flash?

I know I'm way over thinking this. I think the bright colors do two things #1 they stand out and pull aggresive fish from a long distance. #2 If you pull one of these bright baits by a fish in a nutral or negative mood and the fish doesn't see it comming then all of a sudden there is this bright white/pink/chartuse/silver flash you have just exsagerated that dinner bell right in the fishes face.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bass all the way!!! but i will say that bluegill colors are also one of my favorites even in non bluegill style baits like the rising son, I like how it has nice natural colors with a little flash and a little orange to catch their eye.

I'm gonna roll with NickNick on the bass pattern.

Anything with a green back and a white belly.

What he said. Or as we say, "when in doubt, rainbow trout."

I had a great year in 2010 with a threadfin shad colored 9" MS Slammer, targeting fish I know had trout (and in one case bluegill) on their minds. Just like rainbow trout however, it had a white belly and a green back, so the fish didn't seem to mind the black dot behind the gill :-)