New Deps vs old Deps

champion203

Yes.  Not an answer, but adding to the OP's question why are the "OG's" more sought after in spite of the fact that the foil/sticker finish can break apart more easily than the new version's paint.   Also, I understand there were some irregularities with the foam casting of the OG's leading to a small chance of swimming differences from model to model, where the new ones are injection molded and consistent batch to batch.

I see the old ones commanding considerably more money out there.  Is there some real, measurable difference/advantage and if so what is it?   Or, is this a case of people drinking too much of web forum Kool Aid?

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

I think you can really only speak on this if you have multiple of each and have put in the time...that being said in my limited use my og out swims my new by a far...the action on the two I have is noticeably different...not saying the new isn't good...I guess really depends on what your expectations are...my og glides wider and smoother at all retrieves...my new tends to bounce on direction change and sometimes slightly rolls...my new excels in faster retrieves vs slower...

This opinion is based solely on the two baits I have...helps maybe that my new was BB tuned...

I own one OG, and have had 3 new injected models so far.  Id have to agree with "Bigslant" about the swim charictaristics.  The OG stays down much better when working the bait agressively.  The new versions like to nose up, and are less predictable.  Out of the 3 new versions Ive owned, only one has been pretty decent at staying down under an erratic retreive,   Ive seen other people posting on here about the new versions all swimming slightly different, and it rings true in my experience.  I like the old, and the new baits honestly.  I'll continue to purchase the OG version from here on out though.  Either way, they are both solid choices.  The old version is supposed to be tunable in the joint, where the new one is not.  So you can tune the OG to have a wider or tighter glider, based on the spacing of the bait.    Holding both baits side by side, the OG has a noticable difference in the amount the hinges articulate, which helps it turn around a little easier.

Hope that helps.