Spinning Reel Setup ? Weekend Anglers

T Dot

Hi Everyone

I am looking for spinning setup to throw 1oz - 2.5oz topwater or slightly subsurface baits.  This is something I will be carrying on the boat for people who dont usually fish (mom & dad, brothers...), but want the same type of rush similar to throwing a bigger swimbait.

I havent looked at spinning reels, but i need something with ample drag (preferably Shimano) and that can possibly handle 12-14lbs mono or 20-40lbs braid.

Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Thanks in advance

-louie

Honestly, I think you'd be better off putting a decent spincasting reel (maybe one of the better Abus) on a medium swimbait rod. No harder to use than a Barbie pole. Just put some decent 20# mono on it and let them go at it. 

Honestly, I think you'd be better off putting a decent spincasting reel (maybe one of the better Abus) on a medium swimbait rod. No harder to use than a Barbie pole. Just put some decent 20# mono on it and let them go at it. 

why, most of them are junk? They make spinning gear that can handle swimbaits, look at 4000 size reels and pay attention to the blank ratings to make sure they can handle what you are going to be using it for. Most guys around me still fish with spinning gear while fishing salt, they cast heavy plugs perfectly and a mile. 

why, most of them are junk? They make spinning gear that can handle swimbaits, look at 4000 size reels and pay attention to the blank ratings to make sure they can handle what you are going to be using it for. Most guys around me still fish with spinning gear while fishing salt, they cast heavy plugs perfectly and a mile.

The point was for inexperienced fisherman...and cost probably...mostly meaning that spinning reels are fairly fool proof...

"Most are junk", that means some of them aren't, right? I know people use spinning reels to surf cast. But, I also see guys throwing heavy rigs and catching big flatheads on spincasters. Clearly, they can handle it too.

And while a spinning reel is fairly easy to use, it's not as easy to use as a spincaster. I know there are spinning set-ups that can throw a heavy bait, but if I were getting a rod & reel specifically for someone who doesn't fish (or doesn't fish much) to use, a spincaster is the obvious choice.

Edited by Top Ramen

You're going to have better choices of better rods for swimbaits with bait casting tackle, BUT, a good spincasting reel that will hold enough appropriate line is going to cost you as much as a decent spinning reel, and probably not be as functional. The Ugly Stick Tiger Lite rods have a pretty good following for this type of thing, or you could look at some of the XH or Musky rods of some of the major box stores, or a lighter saltwater rod. I have an LL Bean saltwater rod/spinning reel that was $200 and handles what you describe with ease. I also have an LDC spinning rod with a Pflueger Supreme XT that handles it much better. I would use 30 lb braid if you go spinning.

While all comments are definitely valid, this one threw me a curve ball:

It is not something I even thought about, but it opens up doors.  With a spincast reel I can use existing rods I have in my lineup - Dobyns 736C (frog rod).  I often use this as my travel swimbait rod, especially when there is little to no cargo room.

Back on topic - I still would like to pickup a beefy spinning setup and it seems a Shimano Sedona is perfect.  However, I am noticing that most spinning rods are around 7ft.  I cannot find a decent one around 7'6 that has the capability of throwing a 1.5oz bait.  I am only looking at TWH right now.

The point was for inexperienced fisherman...and cost probably...mostly meaning that spinning reels are fairly fool proof...

you can pick up a Sedona or a sahara for less than 60$ if you keep your eyes out, much better than a comparable priced spin cast imo. As far as difficulty goes, my kids (started at age 3) have no problem casting a spinning reels, they actually found it easier than the spincast reels. I have fished with plenty of first timers, none of them had an issue with a spinning reel, it so basic. There are just more options if you go the spinning reel route and better quality for the money imo. But if you want a spincast, go for it, to each his own. I find them to be junk and more of a hassle to use.

It is not something I even thought about, but it opens up doors.  With a spincast reel I can use existing rods I have in my lineup - Dobyns 736C (frog rod).  I often use this as my travel swimbait rod, especially when there is little to no cargo room.

Back on topic - I still would like to pickup a beefy spinning setup and it seems a Shimano Sedona is perfect.  However, I am noticing that most spinning rods are around 7ft.  I cannot find a decent one around 7'6 that has the capability of throwing a 1.5oz bait.  I am only looking at TWH right now.

The daiwa costals are good for the money, not sure what your budget it though. I believe the7'6"  XH maxes out 2oz.

Exactly; all you would need to buy is the reel. And, you wouldn't need to dedicate a combo to it, just swap the reel onto an existing rod when you need it.

you can pick up a Sedona or a sahara for less than 60$ if you keep your eyes out, much better than a comparable priced spin cast imo. As far as difficulty goes, my kids (started at age 3) have no problem casting a spinning reels, they actually found it easier than the spincast reels. I have fished with plenty of first timers, none of them had an issue with a spinning reel, it so basic. There are just more options if you go the spinning reel route and better quality for the money imo. But if you want a spincast, go for it, to each his own. I find them to be junk and more of a hassle to use.

I'm pretty sure I said spinning reels are fool proof...

I'm pretty sure I said spinning reels are fool proof...

You quoted my question to top ramon which was asking him why he recommended a spin cast over a spinning reel. My explanation was supporting the spinning reel so when you responded to my question as to why a spin cast over a spinning reel, I read your response as if you were talking about a spin cast not a spinning reel. 

Just curious, what would a good spincast reel choice be that has a decent line capcity with line >=12# test, decent drag and capable of casting 1 1\2 oz baits? All the spin cast reels I have used in the past have broken after light use so I'd like to hear what you would recommend for a decent one. my wife prefers the spincast reels as that is what her pops tauight her on. After breaking multiple Daiwa gold cast, silver cast and a zebco omega, I stopped buying them and bought her a saharra instead. She still would rather fish with a spin cast though.