BB Rig vs. Stock

M4TT

Hey guys,

I went out today with my new conquest (which is awesome and totally irrelevant). Anyway, after a few hours of falling on my ass trying to hike to spots, I finally hit the perfect little point and managed to hook up with what looked like 4-5lbs... I'll never know because the "Not Allowed" decided to spit out the hook. -_-

My question is, have any of u guys noticed much of a difference with hookup ratio using BB's method compared to the stock hook that come on the hudds? I saw a video recently with some dude saying that the stock hook is still really good and there's no need to use BB's method.

This question has been argued many times here on SU. That being said, it's all personal preference and what you feel confident with. I personally BB all my hudds including the 68s. My hook up to land ratio is really high....if they are hooked they get in the net.

Just to clarify, I use braid instead of wire but I use the exact same hooks Butch uses.post-18943-0-25593100-1451259351_thumb.jpg

Edited by ATFISHING1234

Bb'd my rof 12 and its kind of pissin me off for one the guy clipped my hook too short and it pops out too easily but I rigged a paper clip in there so that's kind of done...but it gets caught up way too much...probably my fault tho for not bbing a rof 5 instead..... I still like the idea of two hooks verses one. O and its on a split snap instead of braid or wire

Edited by Low&Slow

I know Butch has his reasons for rigging his like that and it obviously works for him but I have not seen it make a difference for me.  I only BB rig my ROF5s that didn't come with hooks. I have never had problems with the jig hook on the ROF12s or the 68s. The kind of fish most of us are trying to catch here are going to eat it, not peck at it. This fish isn't even eight pounds and it has the jig hook on this eight inch Hudd in it's crushers.

post-18711-0-68476900-1451265655_thumb.jpg

Use whichever method you have the most confidence in. I like the jig hooks because I try to cross the fish's eyes when I set the hook and that's not the best technique with trebles. 

Edited by Top Ramen

I'm glad this subject got brought up again. I feel it's more relevant now that there are top hook rof 5 huddlestons on the market. I'm building up my hudds again for next year and was wondering the same thing. I have some top hook rof 5's that I was wondering about bb rigging but I figure I'd let the fish let me know once it starts getting chewed. Then I start thinking about all the fish that have tossed my huddgills, 68 specials, and weedless 68's, feelsbadman. 

Still haven't caught a fish on an 8" hudd but I've had some nice follows. Next year though, it's all I'm gong to be throwing until I get bit.