Good luck on the Rat, not so much on bigger baits

redshirt1853

Forum newb here. Im 31, live in San Diego, and have been fishing as long as I can remember. I started getting into swimbaiting last year with the purchase of some Hudds and R2S S-waver baits. Its a bit frustrating but I keep at it. Lots of followers, but no takers. I recently picked up the Spro rat. Its a fun night time bait and Ive pulled plenty of fish in the 3-6 lb range, but I want that DD. 

San Diego has a lot of excellent anglers pulling out great fish on trout style baits, and I think a lot of that has to do with the trout plants we recieve at local reservoirs. One lake in particular stocks around 200 lbs each plant (once a month or so). I think of this as just a fashion of feeding the bass, not necessarily for the weekend angler to take the kids out and catch some fish. So, one would think that the opportunities to catch DD fish on a swimbait are great here.  I think my problem with glide baits, hudds, etc is my retrieval. I am typically casting and bringing the bait back slow, however, not really letting the bait sink. 

Short story long, from your expertise, any recommendations on retrieval or bait selection that you can share with me would be awsome. 

Thanks

Big ups to all the SDFISH guys on here, SD in the SU house haahaa. Anyways best thing I can say is with the glides is switch up the retrieve. Burn that sucker in see what makes the bait move the best, give some rod twitches, 1\4 turns on the retrieve, watch your bait and look for followers. I used to hate when people pretty much said those things to me but its true you really have to put in time with your baits and mix it up. Find out what works for you...don't just cast and wind....and then sometimes just cast and wind. Im pretty confusing hopes this help Lol

Stockers r super dumb when stocked, but afterwards they fall into more normal trout patterns. Biggest pattern is surface activity in the wind called out here the salmon chop...guys who catch em on bluebird days are targeting a very specific piece of structure imo. You will increase your chances fishing prefrontal and wind conditions imo.

Oh another thing fish with peeps who use the baits. Rigs are sometimes important. But you are on right track slow is the way to go...watch vids too but dont swear by em imo, e.g. my bud is swaver phenom with the big ones (every one he has is beat up and beautiful) and he says slow and no braid, tactical bassin guys swear by braid leader connection...the best hudd thrower i know says use a shimano corvalus with nonbraid cuz it forces you to fish so slowly it being a brick of a reel.