XH rods and Treble hooks

pigmurkerz

I have that same rod, LDC XH Production, I found that with my style of hook setting when a fish bites, I initially set the hook like a jig bite, I don't reel and then set, I notice with this rod which is parabolic, I tend to not get a good hook set unless I really set really hard. Due to the rod doesn't get to the meat of the backbone of the rod until close to the reel seat. Until I learn how to reel and then sweep, which I'm practicing, I won't use that rod until I get my habits worked out. I use the XXH now because it lands 75% of the fish that bites. That's My experience with that rod and the bait. Also when I'm fighting the fish I put enough pressure not to overpower the fish too much that i can rip hook out of the fishes lips, but I also don't let the fish do what it wants, it's always coming my way.

Sounds to me like you were doing pretty much everything right. No issues here with having my drag locked down 100% of the time. Necessary for winching a fish in. You don't see butch brown playing 15lbers. Too many other variables at play. Possible your buddy was giving the fish a split second more to eat the bait than you were. Could have been the way he was fishing his bait. The difference in line color or diameter.

However, and this goes for my own personal opinion, I have a general rule I try to follow. For hard baits, I want as soft of a rod as possible while being to EFFECTIVELY throw the bait in using. So for a 9" slammer I'm using a Dobyns 806. It's fairly parabolic, launches the bait, and handles up to about 5oz fine. For a fast sink BBZ, 10" TT, 12" slammer I'm going to the 807. No, it's not very parabolic, but you need the higher weight rating to be able to handle the bigger baits. I do feel like the setup is still effective tho cuz I'm still getting some flex. Ideally, for big baits, say 6-10oz, you would want an xxh parabolic. I dumped a few fish over 5lbs one day last fall tossing the 250 on the Okuma xxh. That rod is a pool cue. Could possible have been saved with a parabolic rod. But in working with what I have. Just remember, as soft as you can while being able to toss the bait. Don't throw a 6" TT on an XH when you can toss it on a H just fine.

I have that same rod, LDC XH Production, I found that with my style of hook setting when a fish bites, I initially set the hook like a jig bite, I don't reel and then set, I notice with this rod which is parabolic, I tend to not get a good hook set unless I really set really hard. Due to the rod doesn't get to the meat of the backbone of the rod until close to the reel seat. Until I learn how to reel and then sweep, which I'm practicing, I won't use that rod until I get my habits worked out. I use the XXH now because it lands 75% of the fish that bites. That's My experience with that rod and the bait. Also when I'm fighting the fish I put enough pressure not to overpower the fish too much that i can rip hook out of the fishes lips, but I also don't let the fish do what it wants, it's always coming my way.

This is exactly what I would say. I try to always keep the fish moving toward the boat and keep good pressure but not yank on the fish the whole time. Also, I see a lot of guys that set the hook and then keep their rod tip really high like they're trying to pull the fish to the top. Don't do that. (LOL!) Seriously though, the only time I keep my rod high is if the fish was hooked almost directly under the boat in deep water (which is rare). I set the hook with a pretty hard sweep either sideways or at about a 45 degree angle over my shoulder and then I immediately put the rod tip low and keep a steady crank going all the way to the boat. With big treble hook baits I find it easier to keep them coming toward me because the bait tends to keep their mouth open the whole time and they can't move their head as good. Everyone has their own style and I've seen many of them work well. This is just my style. Oh, and I always keep the drag locked down. Always.

This is exactly what I would say. I try to always keep the fish moving toward the boat and keep good pressure but not yank on the fish the whole time. Also, I see a lot of guys that set the hook and then keep their rod tip really high like they're trying to pull the fish to the top. Don't do that. (LOL!) Seriously though, the only time I keep my rod high is if the fish was hooked almost directly under the boat in deep water (which is rare). I set the hook with a pretty hard sweep either sideways or at about a 45 degree angle over my shoulder and then I immediately put the rod tip low and keep a steady crank going all the way to the boat. With big treble hook baits I find it easier to keep them coming toward me because the bait tends to keep their mouth open the whole time and they can't move their head as good. Everyone has their own style and I've seen many of them work well. This is just my style. Oh, and I always keep the drag locked down. Always.

i like em to come up to the top then once they lose "traction" just skate them on the top all the way in. 

rod and line play more of a part imo. If I use braid with a trebled hard bait on and xh rod, I tend to loose more fish than on my mh with same line. The mh absorbs more of the shock than the xh, so the hooks stay pinned. Using mono also helps times because of the stretch. There needs to be some give or the hook will either tear or pull out. Same reason why you use parabolic rods for crank baits, you need something to absorb the thrashing fish and keep the hook pinned to the fish, with a xh there isn't enough play(unless you are fishing heavy baits like 5oz+) to keep the fish pinned. I use the xh for my single hook baits like hudds.

I always keep my drag locked on the hook set, I may back it off while fishing if I can't get the fish back to the boat because it's a beast, then I will let the drag do it's work. However, if you are fishing veg, laydowns or rock, you need to be able to keep the fish out of where he is hiding and prevent him from wrapping you up.