Winter time nigh fishing???

ospreynn

Night fishing works extremely well around here during summer time... it seems to be very effective in deep reservoirs with clear water.

Now, I wonder if people nigh fish during winter time. Fish during this time of the year may move shallow to areas that get heated during sunny/calm days. My question is, will fish chase top water baits during the winter months at night, when air temperatures may drop in the 20-30's?.....

Funny that you say this. I've avoided night fishing all winter cuz I figured it'd be to cold. Granted Vegas doesn't get bad. But our air temps def get into the 30's. My lowest water temp I've seen was 38. So I go out to my dock the other night to have a smoke and throw a new lews rod I got with a s waver tied on just to check it out. I'm working it on the top and low and behold about 3 ft from my dock something very slowly followed my waver and came up and slurped it up. Initially I thought it was a carp by how slow it came to surface. And I get it up and it's a 3lb spot! Lol. I continued to fish for a bit and noticed a Wolfpack of them cruising the shallows in the cove my dock is in. So needless to say I'll be heading out next full moon to see what I can score. When I say shallow to there is areas of my cove that are in 8" of water and general depth is 1-2ft then drops gradually to a 8fy channel leading out to main lake.

There are always fish feeding at night. Especially heavily pressured fish. During cold water periods a slow bottom bouncing bait will probably get bit more than a topwater, however there is always a fish or two that are willing to smash surface baits. 

If they are hungry....they will eat. Don't matter when or where, shallow or deep. Opportunistic feeders, especially at night, crawfish, one of the most desired food sources come creepin out at night. Smaller baitfish tend to "sleep" along shoreline bluffs, or, rock piles, when they arn't grabbing a few bugs off the surface. Good luck out there.

I guess I forgot to mention top water bite..... I fish from the bank and if I was to drag a bait (hudd or what not) in the lake I fish, I will lose a bait every other cast. I fish a section with big boulders that drops to 60-100' which is very productive during summer, and attracts fish during warmer days in winter (boulders help warm surrounding water).... but fish tend to show up in that area only in the afternoon, so I don't know if they go deeper after sunset....or just suspend.... 

I'm still trying to figure out winter patterns, as I usually do something else during the cold months... but we've had a few above average warm days, with very stable weather.