SpoolTek Lures

Patk3786

Looks a little gimmicky.

My first thought was that it's just another componant that could fail, but they did seem to be pulling in pretty large fish.  Would be curious about the durability.

Myself?  I'll just stick with the traditional soft bait technology

• 5 months later...

I fish spoolteks quite a bit in FL and for the price point I would say they are definitely worth a shot.  They are quite durable (gar/barracuda strikes) and the 6 and 9 inch give off two totally different actions that have both caught me fish.  Personally, I believe the hook deploying really helps the fish stay pinned and out of all the times I have thrown the two models, I have only been shook off a few times.  Very versatile lure that can be fished a variety of ways. 

personal favorite is the 6 inch in Silver Digger and 9 inch is After Hours, both have been killer for bass.

Edited by zawada

I thought the 4" perch was gonna be great for smallmouth but havn't used it enough to be honest. The color charts are also a bit misleading the 6" gunsmoke looks like a shad but is actually one very dark shade of grey all around, almost sent it back. I have not thrown it once this year. 

Honestly I fish these all of the time for snook, usually throw it drop it to the bottom and drag it through rocks/structure etc. I've lost more of them than I can count.. unfortunately. 

however, I'd say that in terms of its functionality, it does exactly as its advertised. the steel leader deploys on hook up and if you know anything about fishing for snook you know that you need some HEAVY leader to avoid the abrasive effects of a snook's mouth. For bass fishing, I'd say that there are many options that preform much better than spookteks do. in my opinion, they excel in situations where you need the abrasive resistance of a steel leader/heavy leader without sacrificing your presentation with such a heavy leader material. the action is average and along side any top hook harness swim bait to me.