How would you approach this spot

jdhudsonoutdoors

Today I did some exploring with the new Fish Finder/GPS. I found some awesome structure. This rock pile drops off to the main creek channel. I'm not sure if there were as many fish on it as the sonar said but there were definitely a few on the structure. The water temp is right around 63 degrees the. What would your Swimbait of choice be to pick apart this structure?

post-20008-0-22361000-1456698932_thumb.jpeg

I would drag an rof 12 weedless hudd and keep in contact with the bottom, as well as letting a 9" soft tool go to bottom and crank that around slowly. Then I would try a deps 250 down 5 or 6 feet. If the water is clear they will come up for it. You'll also have fish that will suspend above the rocks. That being said, at 63 degrees the majority of your fish may be much shallower in prep for the spawn. But that shouldnt take long to figure out. Good luck!

I'd start by turning off the fish ID feature on the unit as that seems to be way off. There are some great videos by Dr Sonar that would help you tune in the electronics and have a better idea as to what you're looking at. Shoot me a message and I'll let you borrow mine.

Tough to tell on my iPad but it looks to me like there are few if any fish on that spot.

You can't go wrong with an ROF 12 on any deep spot

Definitely agree with above. Turn off the automatic fish markers. Those things are a lot worse than just learning your graph. From the DI image I don't think any of those are fish.

I would be more confident with the zero fish statement if I could see the sonar without the dang "fish" markers in the way. But there may be one or two fish, but doesn't seem like it. Put a waypoint down and come back during the summer and winter. Also, the water temps seem to say the fish aren't gonna be in 25 FOW.

Also, SI is much better when at 80 or 100 feet, not 200 on either side. It compresses the detail too much and it's hard to see that far out. I usually keep mine at 80 feet on either side and I have a bigger screen than yours. But it's not just about screen size, the increased distance also makes it a lot harder to understand what you're seeing and it compresses the detail (making it harder to notice structure).

I'd start by turning off the fish ID feature on the unit as that seems to be way off. There are some great videos by Dr Sonar that would help you tune in the electronics and have a better idea as to what you're looking at. Shoot me a message and I'll let you borrow mine.

Tough to tell on my iPad but it looks to me like there are few if any fish on that spot.

You can't go wrong with an ROF 12 on any deep spot

Agreed! The Dr Sonar series is wicked boring, but if you can endure it there's tons of useful info

Your ds doesn't appear to have any fish relating to that rock pile... I'm with the other posters, ditch the fish id. Personally, I like to run mine on a manual set depth range, everything looks as is, things don't appear bigger in shallow water. I prefer this so I can distinguish the size of the fish more effectively, I rarely fish in water deeper than 30', so I don't find myself having to readjust it ever. I also prefer my sensitivity/gain up, if not a 100, just under. You'll pick up more debris, but after you get more familiar with your unit you'll be able to decipher clutter from bait/fish.

For discussion purposes, lets say you were seeing good sized fish below some suspending bait maybe, and you wanted to work that area with a swimbait only approach,, I'd start with an A-rig (does that count if you have smaller swims on it? Lol). If not an A-rig, my next tactic would be an rof 16, for anything beyond 15', I prefer to have as much contact with the bottom as possible, I'd also try to set my boat up on the shallow side of that ledge, cast bond it and work/crawl it over the structure, that approach also helps keep the bait in contact with the bottom.

Another good tactic is a vertical presentation, the Biwaa Divinator is an awesome bait for jigging as well as covering deep isolated humps, rock piles.