Yak question

Triv

Alright. So late last year I moved onto a local lake and my bass rig has been launched and will not be coming out. Been kicking around the idea of grabbing a kayak for awhile so I could still get out to beat up some other spots. Been looking for awhile and ended up finding one four houses down from my work for a smoking deal. I figured it was fate, so I pulled the trigger. I ended up with a like new 2012 14' Hobie Pro Angler. I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 255lbs, so I thought it would be a good fit as I've heard they are the most stable yaks on the market.

Anyway, the kayak is stock with no upgrades or accessories. I'm looking for advice on must have modifications and accessories. I know I need to get or make some type of cart. I've been looking at the h-bar for standing, and figured I would modify a milk crate or something similar with rod holders to put behind the seat. I'm thinking I should get some type of anchor as well.

Any experienced feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I love my hobie, I bought mine fully customized with a self circulating live well and electronics package. If you don't have electronics I'd highly recommend them. Also the milk carton which you mentioned is super easy to build and an awesome little way to store more gear and rods. I havnt gotten an anchor for mine because I cover water rather fast and never usually have a need for an anchor. I'm not sure if you have a kayak trailer or car top mounts but they get pretty heavy after a long day fishing. Fully outfitted mine weighs 117 so it's not exactly a pleasure to lift on top of my car.

Congratulations! !! I love my PA14. The first thing I recommend is buying a good fish finder ( and all the other things that go along with it such as a battery, water proof bag). The second thing I would do is buy an anchor. There is a anchor system thay allows you to position it in various spots (hobie sells it). I purchased the h bar but hardly use it. I use to skate some and I am a wrestler so I have good balance. I dont like to load to much stuff on my yak so I dont use a cart. I my hydration back on my seat, and carry my tackle ( placed inside the plastic boxes)in the inner portion of my yak. I don't like placing the rods behind me. Good luck.

Anchor system for sure! Get yourself some rod buoys/floats. I'd also recommend taken it out a few time without your gear. It may take a few outings to get comfortable standing up. I don't know if the hobie is equipped with a stand up strap but if it isn't I'd recommend that as well. And then if you want like everyone else is saying a fish finder.

I have a WS ATAK. It came without a rudder. Not sure If hobies come with one, but in my opinion it's must above anything else. The H bar will only help at the beginning, after you feel comfortable standing you'll stop using it. I agree your first time out just take 1 rod out with you and spend most of your time getting use to it, standing and turning and such. Also always check the weather and be ready for the wind to pick up. The first sign of strong winds make your way back to the launch area and hang out there. Just in case.

I don't think you need an hbar man it will just get in the way my most valuable thing I've added to mine was an anchor and the wheel beside that mine is pretty stock,I have an hds 7 with structure scan on it and so far I really love the kayak,it's a smallie magnet

post-18495-0-84138100-1458430263_thumb.jpeg

post-18495-0-33308200-1458430317_thumb.jpeg