Newby Hudd Hook Up question

kscatman76

So I'm new to the swimbaits.  First one I bought was a Weedless 68 shad colored.  after I lost several fish I sort of figured out you had to let them take it before hammering back on them.  that helped some but still only had about a 50 hook up ratio.  So I bought a regular top hook 68 same color expecting much better results but last night on my first trip with it I was 0 for 6 on fish that slammed the bait.  I would have them on about 2 seconds and gone.  Finally I saw the deal in the bottom to attach a treble hook so I dug one out and attached it to the bottom and first fish that hit I caught.  Do you guys use that bottom treble much?  Am I doing something wrong?  For what it's worth I'm in Kansas and fishing for mainly 3 to 8 pound max fish is my belief and we have no trout just shad.  This sucker is addicting but I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong for a better hook up ratio. 

thanks in advance,

travis

I started fishing the hudd 68 after fishing little creeper trash fish for a long time.  With the weedless model, My hook up ratio was pretty terrible until I re watched the Stoked On Fishing Clear lake video on youtube.  Paul Baily basically talks about how you'll feel some smaller bites and finally when they take it good, you'll know.  As you stated, I started letting them take it much better.  I will just keep reeling until I feel the rod load and I swing for the fences.  Some times they eat it good, but for me I get a ton of tail nips before they commit to the bait.  Could be the fish are too small to eat it. Alot of my bigger fish caught I couldn't feel them crush it as much which seems to be the case with most baits.

I bend my hook up a tad on the weedless to where if I brush my finger over the hook, it touches.  I also use scent, like bass dynasty or pro cure guide formula to lube the bait.  I believe they hold onto it longer, Might turn a tail biter into a caught fish. It helps them eat it better, and lastly it protects your bait from getting torn up and reduces snags. 

I hope that helps

Edited by Lakeshark

I'm throwing it on a medium heavy 7'3 rod so perhaps the last post make sense.  I feel like I'm hitting them hard enough but perhaps it's not stiff enough.  I have a 7'6 extra heavy falcon bucco coming rated for 2 to 5 ounce lures so hopefully i'll be able to cross their eyes harder.  I know when I put that treble on last night I instantly caught the first fish the took the bait so it made me think I should be doing that.  That was with the exposed hook model.   I think on the weedless once I let them take it a little bit my ratio went up, I also think the hook started popping out of the plastic easier so perhaps that helped as well.  I like both the top hook and the weedless.  I know one thing....I'm addicted!!  I just want to start landing more of these big suckers so was looking for any tips on that. 

thanks guys!

There's no need to BB rig a six inch Hudd. Just set the hook like you mean it. I set the hook on jig-hook Hudds the same way I would if it was a football jig with a stiff weed guard -- do your best to cross their eyes.

I do notice that I have them "on" for maybe 2 to 3 seconds so maybe my rod has to much flex and I'm not smacking them hard enough.  good tip.

I do notice that I have them "on" for maybe 2 to 3 seconds so maybe my rod has to much flex and I'm not smacking them hard enough.  good tip.

don't try to play the fish just keep reeling and don't stop any slack and the fish could shake the bait. What line are you using?

they're likely smaller fish just smacking at it.  don't beat yourself up too much over it, listen to the guys above and try some different spots and see if you've got the same problem.  little fish hate the hudd too!

Your Rod is basically your entire issue. You're fishing a 6" 2+ oz bait on a jig rod. I doubt your falcon bucoo is very ideal either. When in tossing a 68 I want a dobyns 807. You're not sinking a hook in, that's why they're coming off after a moment. When you jig, you use a jig rod. If you're swim baiting, get a swimbait rod. If you're trying to save cash, pick up an okuma A series 7'11'' xh. That's a hudd rod