Using smaller reels for swimbaits

Oyey

Sorry I haven't been on a ton, but figured for this question, I would ask the experts.

I have several extra size 200 reels.  I need a reel for a swimbait rod that I use specifically for Rising Sons.  I was wondering, would a 200 size reel (Curado) be appropriate for the bigger baits?  I am no expert on the makings of reels and so perhaps I am missing something.  I have had a bit of trouble with my Lexa 300s and feel like my curados are indestructible.  Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated.  I'm sure there is good reason out there for the larger reels, I just don't know them... thanks again.

I use a 200 size reel on my hudd 68's, and my rm negotiators.  Anything bigger and I like to go to a bigger reel.   Its gonna be personal preference at that point.  Why not try it out if you have extras and see if they hold enough line and have the power you need.

I use a lexa 100 on most of my smaller baits currently because my 400 is in the shop. I throw swavers, 6/68 hudds, 175, picasso E-rig, shine glides, matt lures, and the new savage gear gills. not one problem with it at all. Hope this helps

If you are going to use smaller reels you should try to keep the line size down. Using 30# mono on a small reel is not going to work well. But 15 or 17# or even braid with a leader will work ok.

I use 200 sz reels for baits upto 4oz with zero problems. I especially like the older chronarchs and curados, they just fit and feel right. The construction between 200 & 300 sz reels is very similar, the 300 tends to have greater drag strength by a pound or so, but that and the width seem like the only major differences. The 200 holds PLENTY of line, I mean how often have you really ever needed more than 50ish yards of line anyway...? In my 30 years bass fishing I've never encouraged that situation.

I've been throwing my Rising Sons on the Daiwa Tatula HD. I've even thrown 250 on it with no problems. I was a little hesitant but did some research on here and others are doing the same. its a beast of a reel and you can find them for around $120-140. But IMO they are great for throwing the RS. My Z200 is another great option but your gonna pay compared to the Tatula HD

Like kahai I use a tatula a lot. If I am throwing a bait on 17lb line or under I am using the tatula and most baits I'm using braid with also. Not a problem yet, that reel is a stud. If I am needing larger diameter line than the 17 I don't feel it has the spool capacity for bigger and I start using my 300. So for me it's more of a line size thing than bait size.

Like kahai I use a tatula a lot. If I am throwing a bait on 17lb line or under I am using the tatula and most baits I'm using braid with also. Not a problem yet, that reel is a stud. If I am needing larger diameter line than the 17 I don't feel it has the spool capacity for bigger and I start using my 300. So for me it's more of a line size thing than bait size.

right now I am running #20 Pline original and its great. maybe on the lower side of capacity but ive never had any issues.

If it holds enough of the size line you are going to use and comes I the gear ratio you want then why not? I wouldn't suggest going with a cheap reel though the baits are heavy and have a lot of resistance and will put alof of stress on the internals,you can tow a boat with a kia but the Kia won't last long :)

If it holds enough of the size line you are going to use and comes I the gear ratio you want then why not? I wouldn't suggest going with a cheap reel though the baits are heavy and have a lot of resistance and will put alof of stress on the internals,you can tow a boat with a kia but the Kia won't last long :)

Well said bro!

Right on everyone.. REALLY appreciate the feedback.  I have an extra Curado and a Chronarch and I use 20lb Sunline Fluoro for this rod.  Everyone's responses were so consistent... greatly appreciated.