THE TWERK, a bottom bouncing swimbait

Craig

I was chatting to a friend about that pros and cons of a new bait he was fishing. Coincidentally I have been working on a bait that had all the pros and none of the cons.

It was originally designed to track the bottom by fishing it on a Caroliner rig. It is buoyant but gets pulled to the bottom by Caroliner weight. When retrieved it bounces nicely along or just above the bottom in a tantalizing s-wave. When paused the bait rests horizontally at the height of the leader.

If you fish it on an unpegged weight you can control the height the bait rests at and even make it dart to the bottom and float back up a few inches to make it look like it is feeding off the bottom.

Turns out that fished weightless it make a great wake bait as well.

post-24776-0-17781900-1458628122_thumb.jpg

post-24776-0-71774600-1458628260_thumb.jpg

Jointed wooden glidebait, 130cm / 5.5inches and 2 ounces (wrapped/foiled). I placed the hooks on top to avoid snagging. They are held in place with a simple harness system (patent pending lol).

Swim video at : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJSqkXRnvo8

Thanks Magic. Making baits started off as a necessity, then a hobby and now I'm putting some serious consideration into selling them properly. I'll never make real money from them because they take so long to make but I get a real sense of pride from people using and catching fish with my baits. I feel like a father watching his kid graduate.

I will be setting up a website soon. Got an even more amazing action on a bait coming up soon. Just need to wait for the rains so I can get some proper footage.

Craig, cleverly thought out with the leading wieght. It actually looks like a "Distracted / Unsuspecting" baitfish following food along the bottom, only to find out it should have been paying attention to its surroundings.  I should be getting out with your "Undertaker 180" Golden Shiner this weekend. The weathers been all over the place in central Mass so far. I admire how you think outside the box with your lures, and, that feature you added to the sides of The Undertaker is clever. Will report after this weekend.... ;-)

What's the hookup ratio fished as topwater/wake with the hooks on top of the bait?

To be honest Tim the bait is quite new but I'm sure the hookup ration will be great. Its main application is moving close to or on the bottom so it will most likely be hit from above. It's like a Butch Brown rigged Hud with two trebles.

Topwater it'll be better than a hollow bodied frog while still being able to be fished over weeds.

Craig, cleverly thought out with the leading wieght. It actually looks like a "Distracted / Unsuspecting" baitfish following food along the bottom, only to find out it should have been paying attention to its surroundings.  I should be getting out with your "Undertaker 180" Golden Shiner this weekend. The weathers been all over the place in central Mass so far. I admire how you think outside the box with your lures, and, that feature you added to the sides of The Undertaker is clever. Will report after this weekend.... ;-)

Thanks Wally, I love to invent and probably spend more time throwing new creations in the pool than I do actually fishing...

The Twerk feeding along the bottom is an exciting retrieve than I'm sure most bass haven't seen.

And the Undertaker... just wait until I show you some retrieves I'm going to video as soon as we get some rain here. Lakes are at 20% and rather structure-less.

Great job. Love the conceptual premise and where your head's at. Unfortunately the top hook idea held in place likely by a neo-earth magnet isnt a new idea but you are innovative in your thinking all the same. Mickey Ellis has the top hooked Real Deal... Some of the Romanmades & I believe Tylure as well. I was also excited about the idea for my Snake but Melosh beat me to public display. Then I remembered the others... Anyhow wanted to give you a pound not rain on your parade... So high five overall: )

Great job. Love the conceptual premise and where your head's at. Unfortunately the top hook idea held in place likely by a neo-earth magnet isnt a new idea but you are innovative in your thinking all the same. Mickey Ellis has the top hooked Real Deal... Some of the Romanmades & I believe Tylure as well. I was also excited about the idea for my Snake but Melosh beat me to public display. Then I remembered the others... Anyhow wanted to give you a pound not rain on your parade... So high five overall: )

Thanks Justin. I do appreciate your positive comment and always appreciate any positive criticism.

For the record I am aware there are plenty of top hook baits. My hooks are held in place with a pin/harness not a magnet - which is what I was referring to in my tongue  in cheek comment about the patent office.

Your a champ I'm encouraged we can share a positive exchange as men. sometimes this stuff can be touchy... So I applaud your level headed response. I in no way ment to hate so right on in taking it with a grain of salt. I'm digging your out of the box perspective and your bait looks clean Perhaps we can work out a baitmakers trade when you are ready to knock out another. Would be happy to help do some recon and report back with pics of pigs:) Magic would do damage as well and has a lot of public exposure here on the famous CA Delta etc. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Anyhow cheers!

Your a champ I'm encouraged we can share a positive exchange as men. sometimes this stuff can be touchy... So I applaud your level headed response. I in no way ment to hate so right on in taking it with a grain of salt. I'm digging your out of the box perspective and your bait looks clean Perhaps we can work out a baitmakers trade when you are ready to knock out another. Would be happy to help do some recon and report back with pics of pigs:) Magic would do damage as well and has a lot of public exposure here on the famous CA Delta etc. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Anyhow cheers!

Thanks Bud, guys on forums can get very touchy. My wife laughs at us on our local forum as it generally turns into a huge "Not Allowed" fight.

People skim read and interpret everything as a personal attack. If people just read the damn post properly before getting all insulted it will solve the problem in most cases.

Anyway... glad you like the bait and video. PM sent.