Trailer Failure

IsaacM619

Just a quick reminder, check the strength of your stingers after every fish. Caught a 10 on the stinger, hooked up again and the fish jumped at the bank and I though she shook free, until I noticed my stinger hook gone. Not gonna happen again...

post-24557-0-03664300-1462201954_thumb.png

Sorry about your lost fish, but,thanks for the heads up Isaac. What I did to my Hudd Butch Brown treble rigs is, after after I solidly crimpded the sleeve, I went out to the yard, hooked the treble onto a tree andn pulled like hell to make sure everything held up. So far so good.

I use 80 fluoro and double barrel crimps and attach around the hook. I then just take a piece of plastic tubing(I use the old tubing from a nebulizer for asthma patients), cut a small piece of it, then cut it in half and flatten it out and put the hook through it and slide it over the fluoro connected around the hook. You might not even have to use plastic over the hook but the image of that barb rubbing up against the fluoro with a big fish on is enough to make me do it. This is not my original idea however, Matt Purcell helped me out with it, thanks again man!

post-18296-0-55749100-1462457973_thumb.jpg

Edited by evans_usmc69

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using wire, or braid, remember that over time it will fatigue and/or fray...here's a wire stinger on one of the Hudds I throw for walleye that was down to just a couple of strands after a heavy fish.

file-22.jpg

Here's another one that was snapped by another heavy fish right at shore - should have re-rigged the wire!

DamagedHudd.jpg

Im digging the rig travis just mentioned.

I just use 30lb mono from the line tie to the trailer hook and have never ever had any issue, but I've had wire snap 3 times. Whatever you decide to use, just don't hang it from the harness or she gonna bust in half a lot quicker then u think haha. 

Edited by gradycodd

Never been a fan of wire, it frays and breaks. i love running 65-80lb braid for stingers. Had much more success this way than anything else. Also very stealthy. Good luck hope this helps