Approaching Clear Lake in May

danthefisherman

I'm heading up to Clear Lake later this month and was wondering if any of you have any tips that might help me land some fish on swimbaits.

I'll be stuck on shore fishing from a dock most of the time. The only swimbaits I have to use currently are a few old line thru baits (7 in.), two jig hook swimbaits (4 in.), homemade gills (sinking and floating, 4.5 in.), and a Kanan Aqua Relic Monster (ss, 7 in.). The area I'll be fishing has a few scattered rocks and weed beds...nothing really that different from the rest of the lake. I might also get a chance to throw some swimmers from a boat.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks SU!

I've heard that the crappie population has exploded recently. Try imitating them by throwing a swim bait with a silvery finish around docks or wherever the crappie are holding.

I've heard that the crappie population has exploded recently. Try imitating them by throwing a swim bait with a silvery finish around docks or wherever the crappie are holding.

i was fishing a tournament up there earlier this month and we were catching 1 1/2lb crappie back to back. that being said we unfortunately did not catch many bass on swimbaits. the jerkbait bite was crazy in the morning and many fish were on beds as well.  I did catch a couple fish on one of the new savage gear bluegills fishing it along weed edges but nothing on it over 4lbs.  My partner did catch a couple nice ones (including an eight and a half pounder) on an a-rig though.  

Edited by Gavin721

That means hail in CL lmao...and 5' waves good luck bro

If it's as windy as it was last night, it'll make for an interesting trip....ohhhh ya and post spawn conditions, I don't think I could have picked a better weekend!

Long story short I was blown off the lake in ONE hour, the water clarity is SH*T, and fishing has completely shut off so I hope you have a much better trip then I did. I still had fun and the boat ran great so that was a plus.

Happened to me last fall...the weather was ok then in a snap changed to huge waves and wind gusts...we left early enough to hit the delta and still got about 5 hours of fishing in...CL can be crazy sometimes