Why/How Did You Get Into Swimbaits?

Luke V.

Let's hear the stories!

I saw a 6" hudd on TW and thought it looked cool so I got it. Then I met some other guys at my school that fished swimbaits, they showed me the world I live in today. And the rest is history.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a few youtube vids on big bass an swim baits were the number one type of lure bein used. I have caught a few 7 n 8 lb bass on the roboworm but no dd bass. So I figured the best way to reach that goal is big baits. No dd as of yet but im a firm beleaver in the big bait theory so I keep throwin.

It all started basically because of where I grew up.....Riverside, California. I got my start fishing saltwater with my dad. We use to have a 22ft Cabo 216. Always fished the huntington flats, oil rigs, the islands and up and down the coast. Fishing was in my blood. We moved to Riverside when I was 6 and after sometime we ended up selling the boat.

I would watch every fishing show I could. I don't remember how but one day I found out about Lake Perris. So my brother and I talked our mom into taking us there. She'd hang out while we fished. As time went by and we got older she'd take us and drop us off there. We'd ride our bikes around the lake fishing every spot we could from shore.

Then there's the marina. Where a picture board showed all the big bass that were recently caught. One thing lead to another and I was given the chance to fish on a few boats with guys whom I owe a lot to. Started fishing tourneys and always heard the Uribe's, Brownlie, Gash and others stick big fish on swimbaits. It caught my attention but where did you start, how, when and why.

I graduated high school and needed to pay my own way. So I went to work for Bass World West. Good times!I got to get my hands on swimbaits but was yet to throw them. Then I went to work for Anglers Marine. What do you know those guys all had some kind of experience with the big bait and a very familiar name worked there as well......Joe Uribe.

I worked in the tackle department, where I met a lot of cool people. One of those being a guy we all know. I was quickly brought to speed on the big bait, purchased my first big bait set up and the rest has been history. Thanks Mickey and everyone else that helped me learn about these baits.

Just like Colby, a simple observation changed my attitude about fishing. I caught a small fish that spit up a huge shad, I just ran with it after that. King shad, spro, basstrix, Matts, then 3:16 and am still learning every day. To me that is what makes fishing fun, you can never learn it all.

Wise words Colby, I wish more young people had your attitude.

I saw Butch Brown's videos on youtube then found the forums. I bought a 6" huddleston and fished on my 15 year old baitcaster with 10 lb line at the beginning of june. Caught a 3 lber first time out which was huge compared to the fish I was catchin on senkos. Cast it off the very next cast. Luckily my brother had bet me 20$ I wouldn't catch anything on such a big lure. Seems funny now. I consider a 6" hudd to be small. After that I got some gear and big baits.

Still no fish on the 8" hudd. I have lost 7 of them probly. Have had very good luck on 9" slammer, punker and 8" mission fish though. Haven't figured the huddy out yet. I think my wife banned me from using them after my last trip.

-Dave

It all started basically because of where I grew up.....Riverside, California. I got my start fishing saltwater with my dad. We use to have a 22ft Cabo 216. Always fished the huntington flats, oil rigs, the islands and up and down the coast. Fishing was in my blood. We moved to Riverside when I was 6 and after sometime we ended up selling the boat.

I would watch every fishing show I could. I don't remember how but one day I found out about Lake Perris. So my brother and I talked our mom into taking us there. She'd hang out while we fished. As time went by and we got older she'd take us and drop us off there. We'd ride our bikes around the lake fishing every spot we could from shore.

Then there's the marina. Where a picture board showed all the big bass that were recently caught. One thing lead to another and I was given the chance to fish on a few boats with guys whom I owe a lot to. Started fishing tourneys and always heard the Uribe's, Brownlie, Gash and others stick big fish on swimbaits. It caught my attention but where did you start, how, when and why.

I graduated high school and needed to pay my own way. So I went to work for Bass World West. Good times!I got to get my hands on swimbaits but was yet to throw them. Then I went to work for Anglers Marine. What do you know those guys all had some kind of experience with the big bait and a very familiar name worked there as well......Joe Uribe.

I worked in the tackle department, where I met a lot of cool people. One of those being a guy we all know. I was quickly brought to speed on the big bait, purchased my first big bait set up and the rest has been history. Thanks Mickey and everyone else that helped me learn about these baits.

You are gunna laugh at this one

I grew up in perris california i use to read the paper every sunday and see the big catches of the week and what every one was using i always saw it say large swimbait so i always wanted to try them.my mom use to drop me off at the gate to lake perris with my bike two piece spinning combo i would haul but to lot 5 marina to fish from the docks before the rangers came around one day a guy pulls up in his bass boat with 5 rods on his deck one rod had a slammer tied on in rainbow trout color..I asked him whats that catch he said"big bass!" I was amazed..he said come here he reached in a compartment and handed me what looked like a osprey swimbait and said "remember big bass eat big baits" and winked at me.so that always stuck with me and once i staryed fishing again as an adult i told myself thats how im going to think took awhile to take the plunge but im a full blown addict now

I had heard about these big baits and chuckled to myself thinking, "Bass won't eat something that big. That's ridiculous."

I was at a local lake (Pennsylvania, remember?) throwing a spinnerbait when the state truck showed up. Typically, when the state stocks they fill up five gallon buckets with water and stocker trout and drop them off around the stream/lake. This particular lake, the shoreline will not allow that. They basically have to back the truck up to the edge, hook up the pipe and dump the trout through the pipe into the water. I watched as the bucket brigade showed up and caught some of the active fish. What was left was the wounded, half-dead hatchery fish that looked like they would barely make it. They would swim in a distint pattern, circling like they were still in the hatchery ponds.

Well, their one path took them past this perfect ambush point. There was a piece of the dam that extended out into deeper water. Slowly, I saw these couple shadows appear. They would sit motionless until one of those hapless trout strayed out a little too far from the group. In a burst of energy and carnage, these shadows would CRUSH the trout and sink back down to the deeper water. This happened for a little while, 15 minutes probably. After feeding time was over, these "shadows" moved to a little shallower water to rest (presumably) while still being within striking distance of these trout. It was then I got to see what they really were....the biggest largemouth that I had ever seen.

From that day forward, I was absolutely convinced that there was something to this "swimbait thing." My fishing life has not been the same since.

I used to read posts on bassresource from folks like Matt (Servant), Randall, and a few others including Speed; and I wondered what it was all about. So I decided to find out on my own since no one over here (where I live) throws anything bigger than a 4" jerkbait.