Incorporating New Baits

bigpoppabass

How do you find the time and confidence to throw new baits? Folks, one of my biggest weaknesses as an sb thrower is not getting around to new baits. So this winter I accumulated every glider I could find and have yet to really use em. Just too many other proven baits on deck. The fact that each bait from each manufacturer is a little different is not inspiring me much either. That usually means you need to find just the right rig for em.

Tie 'em on & start casting. Don't worry about having the perfect reel, rod or line- those are minor components. Leave your proven baits at home.

Yup, hard to go back to old reliable if you don't bring it with you.

Why wouldn't you test new baits. You never know unless you try

Because the temptation to use them is when bite is off and other baits are not producing. Then mentally I think bait is not that good making me less likely to pick up again.

you have to be willing to throw the baits and not catch anything for a while. But there is no way to find out when a bait is effective if you dont know know when its not effective. if your not willing to sacrifice bites to learn a new bait, then maybe stick to what you always throw. 

This sounds like the same struggle I was having to throw swimbaits in the first place. I felt I could catch them better on something else. Well I just left the other gear home and surprisingly I haven't used it all year. Every different swimbait I catch a bass on makes my confidence grow.

you have to be willing to throw the baits and not catch anything for a while. But there is no way to find out when a bait is effective if you dont know know when its not effective. if your not willing to sacrifice bites to learn a new bait, then maybe stick to what you always throw.

This ^^ I have about 10 baits of the hundred I purchased this year that will get use in all seasons..lots of no bite days..but when I get through all seasons and conditions if something doesn't produce I'll move on..never know if you don't try

What Will said is very true. For me Initially trying new swimbaits was almost like leaving the spinners behind. I'm pretty sure everybody "baits" at the dock repeatedly tying baits until they choose what's getting tied on when they are learning new baits. And baits get crushed unexpectedly during this "baiting" time.. That's when it gets fun!

Here's what I've done recently (After watching a giant chase a 10" bass (I had hooked on a ned rig) up to the boat and finally eating it) I go to a small lake with little pressure and lots of decent sized bass (3-5lbs) and use this as type of a proving ground ( proving to myself bass will eat the big baits). Now I have confidence in the big baits and I am also kind of addicted to the big bait bite. So now I'm ready to go hit some other water, with real world experience and confidence to throw the big plastic all day for 1 or zero bites.