Swimbaits for City Lakes

lazyfisherman

My buddy recently got me into fishing the swimbait. Bought a 6 spro and have been throwing it at the local city lake here in the OC, but so far, I've only been able to catch a catfish.

I have been fishing it with varied retrieve, but mostly just slow rolling it fast enough to make sure it doesnt hit the bottom. I am currently fishing the slow sink.

Am I doing anything wrong? I have made 4 trips so far, to various lakes, but have yet to stick a swimbait fish. Any recommendation on lures?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that swimbait fishing is more about big bites than numbers, so expect to go some days without getting bit or catching fish. I agree with Marbles about checking the review section. Some good baits for local ponds? Probably any of the usual baits: Huddlestons, Rising Sons, Mighty Minnows, Little Boogers, MS Slammers, Baby Wakes, Wake Jrs, Freestyle Shads, Mattlures Hard gills, you name it. Just have some confidence and keep that swimbait tied on at all times and in the water!!

Your lucky. I've been fishing almost every other day in the last two months and haven't caught anything! :oops:

I think Huds right now are the best bet for cold weather. Aside from that, I'd say just keep going at it. You'll get one eventually.

Your lucky. I've been fishing almost every other day in the last two months and haven't caught anything! :oops:

I think Huds right now are the best bet for cold weather. Aside from that, I'd say just keep going at it. You'll get one eventually.

last bass i caught was on thanskgiving :oops:

but i keep at it...waters only like 39 degrees here too

You picked tough waters to learn how to swimbait in. I did the same thing. It will take some time for you to figure out what suits your style and how the fish react to it.

while i do agree hudds are a good bet, EVERYONE is throwing them at the city park lakes right now. It may not be a bad idea to give them a different look. Missed a good bite on the 8" freestyle trout today while two fellow city park swimbaiters (and SU members) were standing next to me. Depeding on where you are fishing, the fish will use different ambush points. Watch what the fish do (a good pair of polarized glasses help tremendously), and you will begin to understand where to put your bait.

Keep at it, it will happen. Persistence and patience are both undoubtedly necessary for fishing the city park lakes.

Geoff

You picked tough waters to learn how to swimbait in. I did the same thing. It will take some time for you to figure out what suits your style and how the fish react to it.

while i do agree hudds are a good bet, EVERYONE is throwing them at the city park lakes right now. It may not be a bad idea to give them a different look. Missed a good bite on the 8" freestyle trout today while two fellow city park swimbaiters (and SU members) were standing next to me. Depeding on where you are fishing, the fish will use different ambush points. Watch what the fish do (a good pair of polarized glasses help tremendously), and you will begin to understand where to put your bait.

Keep at it, it will happen. Persistence and patience are both undoubtedly necessary for fishing the city park lakes.

Geoff

X2 on the hud at the cpl's. Had a few looks yesterday on the 6" fs ss at that same lake.

So those fish are active.....but they are smart too. So keep at it you will get em.

City Park lakes are a challenge to fish. Like Geoff said, they've seen A LOT of Hudds. Some places, like El Dorado, have had Hudds and Triple Trouts thrown there almost since those baits started being made. While Hudds will always produce, try feeding them something really off the wall, or at least make your Hudds stand out (gill mods, fin mods, leaving them out on your dashboard to soften up). Sometimes colors like Sissy will draw fish in because it's so unusual. It's a lot about experimenting, but the nice thing is since the body of water is so small you can really work a lot of the key areas thoroughly. Keep tossing them and you'll catch fish!

X 3 What Geoff said, also I would agree with Thebig1, missionfish are totally weedless and do catch fish at city park lakes, which are prolly some of the toughest waters to catch good fish at...Keep at it, your time will come. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info guys. I have put in about 7 hours of total fishing, so I understand its still early, but its hard to keep motivated sometimes. Just wondering if I was doing anything wrong. I have been hearing a lot about the mission fish. Going to order one soon. Is trout the best color to get, since most of the city park lakes tend to stock trout?

Thanks for the info guys. I have put in about 7 hours of total fishing, so I understand its still early, but its hard to keep motivated sometimes. Just wondering if I was doing anything wrong. I have been hearing a lot about the mission fish. Going to order one soon. Is trout the best color to get, since most of the city park lakes tend to stock trout?

I know it can be frustrating, but when you do get a nice fish on a swimbait, all that frustration will disappear.. :mrgreen: BTW, I use the bass color, I however would consider a color that stands out more for your first one, and I would suggest the 7". Good luck