Swimbaits for City Lakes

lazyfisherman

I grew up fishing OC lakes. You would think that all around the shore on a small lake should produce. But there is high percentage spots. Try casting parallel to the shore. PM me with what lakes your fishing and if I have fished that lake I will give you all the info I can.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live down here in FL and all I really fish in is ponds and lakes. A few swimbaits I always have good luck on is the BDB Shellcracker 4", Spro bbz 1 jr, 3:16 mission fish and mighty minnow, and also 6" weedless hudds. I usually pull 4-5 fish on a good week in the 4-6 pound range, so just have confidence in your baits and you'll get em :D

-Rider

It depends on what you want to catch. Those city lakes get pounded.......I normally would recommend downsizing but it pretty much goes against the swimbait mentality altogether. For what its worth, if I wa to downsize, a Hudd Grass minnow would be my choice. But in all liklihood, I'd look at another body of water if that was possible.

I grew up fishing OC lakes. You would think that all around the shore on a small lake should produce. But there is high percentage spots. Try casting parallel to the shore. PM me with what lakes your fishing and if I have fished that lake I will give you all the info I can.

some of the best advice in here so far. Also don't be afraid to cast super tight to the edge. I would say 90% of my fish at the local city park ponds are caught within 1 ft of the edge.

Thanks for all the great information. I always fan cast, but try not to throw too close to the shore to avoid snags, but I guess that was my downfall. I will try casting parallel and will get multiple colored Mission Fish. I have fished Clark lake before, and have never had any luck at that lake. I mostly fish Cerritos Regional as well as a couple other private residence lakes in Orange County.

some of the best advice in here so far. Also don't be afraid to cast super tight to the edge. I would say 90% of my fish at the local city park ponds are caught within 1 ft of the edge.

Angles all day and night ;)

Have you seen the Southern Trout Eaters vid? It sheds a lot of light on angles and ambush points.

There is so many different variables that come into play. Ledges, rock piles, docks, fallen trees, grass lines, points, wind direction, current just to name a few. Angles and ambush points are best shown to you by the fish.

that is lake knowledge man, nothing beats experience when determining those types of things. Obviously there are exposed ambush points like the shore line but its the ones you cannot see underwater that are the hardest to find and fish well from shore. The best advice I can give you on that is to get as much time on the water as you can and try and pattern a bite and the lake as best you can. The more you fish somewhere the more you will learn and then refinements to your technique can be made to adapt to each spot.

I kid you not I probably fished one local cpl AT LEAST 40 times last year and caught maybe 6 fish there and I would say at this point I still know next to nothing about the lake or bite :lol: The two major things I learned last year was the deepest part of the lake is 8ft and that it drops at a rate of 1 ft every 5 feet from shore. Now assuming I can lose a few more baits on the sub surface structure there this year I should have a good set of targets to aim for when im casting this year and hopefully find a few more bites.

It just takes time patience is a big part of long term success.

Ha, a couple of years ago, I use to fish a L.A. city park about 100 times a year, maybe more and still couldn't get a line on the place. I think in CPL's, things change more than at a regular lake, i.e. weeds grow, then get pulled out, most CPL's get blue stoned, water changes, people keeping way to many fish in some places, die off's, and the list goes on.

So yeah, that's what makes CPL's such a challenge and IMHO fun to fish.. :lol: