Swimbaits for City Lakes

lazyfisherman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be awesome to finally catch something though. I've only been fishing 3 or 4 different local lakes/ponds.

seems like I lose or break a lure every other trip.

Knot failing..? What type of line are you using..? Avoid baits with bottom treble hooks in weedy areas. Baits with a top hook will work better, as long as they are SS, or ROF 5's.

Use weedless baits for bottom dragging/bouncing.

keep in mind that snagging a bait means you ran into or hooked into something.... that something could be structure for a fish, even the most subtle contours can hold fish. So even though you may have lost a bait you also just found a spot to cast at just try again from a different angle ;)

The fish in these lakes almost make up their own set of rules from week to week. Its much more inconisistent than larger bodies of water with more cover and traditional structure. I've probably spent 200 days on the one your fishing last year and the fish move and change habits very frequently. Casting parallel is a good habit to avoid walking up on fish as you move along the bank but they can come from anywhere. During the day its a real crapshoot...I've had periods where all my fish follow from deep water and hit halfway back to the shore. During low light and at night they tend to move up more. The good thing is there's really nothing you can't hit in a short amount of time...aerators...they hold big fish sometimes. You have to bust your butt for a few fish....but they can be had and they are certainly in there. I've yet to run into anyone that consistently gets big fish on swimbaits at the CPL...you'll go through good streaks and long dead streaks....the fishing is a lot more volatile.

Keep at it though...there's some trout stuffed females gettin' ready to get their feed on prior to the spawn.

Have fun.

JK

Keep at it though...there's some trout stuffed females gettin' ready to get their feed on prior to the spawn.

Have fun.

JK

Tell me about it...On the phone listening to my loan person tell me the bad news, when i hear "Got one!" followed promptly by a "HELL YEAH!!"

:lol::lol:

Glad you stuck one man!

Geoff

Knot failing..? What type of line are you using..? Avoid baits with bottom treble hooks in weedy areas. Baits with a top hook will work better, as long as they are SS, or ROF 5's.

Use weedless baits for bottom dragging/bouncing.

Nope, I'm confident in the knots. I'm using the Uni. Just poor judgment on where to throw. Using Maxima 25lb line.

I haven't gone out in a few days due to a busy schedule, feeling withdrawals.

• 1 year later...

Ya I'm in a similar position in that I'm new to swim baits and OC park lakes are my only option at this point. I have had a couple decent fish later last season throwing some baits by 3:16 at Clark and had one I couldn't stop. It was enough to get me hooked on throwing swim baits and now that their stocking trout again I'm back out on the grind.

one thing that wasnt mentioned was that weather plays a huge part in how the fish respond. in small, shallow ponds/lakes, things can change quickly, ie. with just a little rain, the water temps in the entire pond can drop or rise. this change in temp can cause fish to actively start feeding or stop feeding altogether.