Why use Swivels on Big Baits?

Campobassmaster

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32118-tactical-angler-clips-v-owners-cross-lock/

Good info in this one. I took the advice of other members and egg decoy have been awesome. Also The last post by Jonathon is off the chain, my personal favorite.

And like Anthony I've also had zero problems since the switch

I know your talking swevels tying your lure to but i do say this baits that cost more than 50 dollars should come with swivel hooks by law but it is a simple fix just add another split ring. I hate buying terminal tackle because there's so many other swimbaits that I must have just when I get down to only 5 more baits to buy I find a whole bunch more I can't live without

I have used enough snaps for real fish to know that they sometimes fail. Not saying you can't get by with them, but i don't use them except for the big stuff (tuna, marlin).

Agreed..if it can open..it possibly will..but in my experience I have less problems..I prefer a Palomar knot and it's much easier on the line stress to tie a Palomar to a snap then to a split ring on a 250

• 6 months later...

And you're managing to land a high percentage of your fish, and BIG hard fighting ones with the braid? I don't like braid for hard swimbaits, not forgiving, causes a lot of fish to come off, unless you're using a very moderate action rod, but then you're sacrificing in other important areas. Just my experience. 

This was the majority mindset at the Revolution as well. No one used Braid, Seagar, Suffix some others i didn't recognize... Mono or Fluro only. 30 llb seemed to be the weight of choice. 

Coming from a diverse fishing perspective (freshwater/saltwater, not just bass), I can't believe the snaps and hardware most swimbait guys use to be honest... and yes I've tried most you can think of. The Staylok snaps (gold standard in the Muskie world) are good on huge baits if you're not as hardware shy and want a snap but don't work great with all baits due to the typically small line-tie of swimbaits compared to the rest of the big game universe. From a big-game perspective, you don't want a snap that's possible to open due to a fish-related scenario. No matter how impossible it may seem, it always seems to happen at the worst possible time.

For more minimalist hardware tie direct to a SOLID Owner ring (not a split ring) and attach the typical swimbait split ring on the nose of the bait to the solid ring. The Owner solid rings are excellent. The abuse they're specifically designed to take in the saltwater universe is absurd and they're still a nice compact size to use for freshwater. I actually don't recommend the Owner Hyperwire split rings as they're crazy over-priced, thicker, and lower performance than something like a Worth Heavy split ring based on real-world experience.

In most cases there's nothing wrong with tying direct and not adding hardware... but if you must, use stuff that you have confidence in. A lot of it just comes down to fishing style and how much attention to detail people actually pay, how often they check knots, retie, etc etc.