weedless hudd on the bottom??

kscatman76

I've been fishing my weedless 68's by slow rolling it.  I think I've read where guys are crawling them on the bottom though or even fishing it with a hoping motion like a plastic worm or jig??  Do any of you guys do this?  Sorry I'm still learning this swimbait stuff but I love it. 

I usually let it fall to the bottom and slow roll it as well. Recently, I started popping the line occasionally as if I was snagged, and I noticed I was getting more hits. I figured it would look like the trout is trying to dart away. One thing I will add is that I started having better luck by putting a little bit of scent inside the hook opening. Hope this helps, Good luck.

If you are fishing deep and going over larger clumps of horizonta cover I would go with the normal because the line tie will allow it to come over that cover easier. With the weedless and nose line tie it tends to just hang up and tear apart your baits easier

• 1 month later...

I usually let it fall to the bottom and slow roll it as well. Recently, I started popping the line occasionally as if I was snagged, and I noticed I was getting more hits. I figured it would look like the trout is trying to dart away. One thing I will add is that I started having better luck by putting a little bit of scent inside the hook opening. Hope this helps, Good luck.

+1 on popping the lure off of the bottom. That way when you begin your retrieve you are not kicking up a trail of mud on the bottom. That will usually spook them off. If your hugging the bottom with your hudd I recommend the top hook version if weeds are not an issue. That way they can pin your lure really good when they ambush. If you are fishing at night it's OK to kick up mud on the bottom. Hope that makes sense.

My two largest fish have come on a weedless 8" Hudd.  One dragging it over and through submerged trees, the other through a grass flat.

As "jhillman88" said above the weedless model is more suited for a mid-water column retrieve due to the orientation of the line tie (rather than being on top, it is in the nose).  This allows for the most weedless-ness, but also noses the lure up when you drag it on bottom.

Having said that of course it still works.  I have dragged my 8" weedless and 68 spec weedless on bottom many times.  While the line tie might not be ideal, in any area where dense weeds, stumps, laydowns, etc are present it is THE Hudd to use.  Being able to put that lure (particularly the big 8" model) into areas of thick cover is a killer combo.  

8" weedless through weed bed.  Go to 11:46 point in video.

8" weedless up, over and around submerged trees.  Go to 2:56 point in video.

-Carl

carl good tips and great video.  man that pig hit you right at the boat to!!  I'm assuming you don't have trout where your at, and I don't in Kansas either.  I'm also assuming a "big" fish for you is the 5 to 8 pound range?  that's about what we are, 8 pounds are really rare in Kansas so I guess what I'm saying is maybe I need to step up in size from my 68's and buy an 8 inch? 

carl good tips and great video.  man that pig hit you right at the boat to!!  I'm assuming you don't have trout where your at, and I don't in Kansas either.  I'm also assuming a "big" fish for you is the 5 to 8 pound range?  that's about what we are, 8 pounds are really rare in Kansas so I guess what I'm saying is maybe I need to step up in size from my 68's and buy an 8 inch? 

Yes and yes.  No trout in the waters where these two were caught.  I don't get hung up on match the hatch.  Waaaay too many people have caught monster bass on Hudd trouts in waters were no trout exist.  Its the size, general profile and "swim signature" that they seem to love.

Same here with the weights.  I've got my share of 5's and 6's....but still have yet to see a 7 or 8.  The 30-something year old state record is 10lb 14oz so 7,8, and 9's are of course exceedingly rare.  But, that 8" does get hit even by smaller guys in the 3-4 lb class.  Not that its what your looking for, but it breaks up the monotony a bit.  In general though the 8" Hudd is my #1 for the biggest bite.  I find my hard lures....even the huge ones attract many more average size fish.  Something about the large, soft bodied, subtle swimbait makes the biggest ones commit.

One other thing.  The ROF 5, 8" weedless sinks significantly faster than the standard ROF 5.  I'd put it at a ROF 8-10.  I only buy the ROF 5 weedless 8" and if for some reason I want it heavier I'll add tungsten nail weights in the belly (which are easily removed)

-Carl

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

I use the weedless and top hook depending on the weeds in the pond I am fishing. I slow crawl it, stop it, pop it, lift it a foot and then let it drop back down. When it gets stuck on some grass or wood, I pop it hard then stop it.

Let the fish tell you what they want that day.

I actually caught my first 8" hudd fish this past Saturday.  Casting out into the middle of the lake, letting it freely fall to the bottom then dragging it across the bottom as slow as possible. Picked up my first  8" hudd fish around 2 pm, clear sky's, stained water, on the ROF 12 Jig hook model.  It also happens to be my first fish caught on my Okuma Kamodo SS 364 I picked up Friday after work.  Double firsts.  The fish was in the 3-4 pound range and it was able to cram the whole 8" hudd deep in its mouth like Dani Daniels!

I've caught numerous bass on my 68s. Everything from dinks up to my PB of 9 pounds even.  I have not caught any fish on my weedless 68.  All have come on the top hook version.  Dragging bottom, bouncing over Dam rip rap, swimming over or around weeds...they have all produced.

If you are not getting fish to stick on the weedless id recommend throwing the ROF 12 top hook. Just be conscious of what you are throwing it around and adjust accordingly.