Original Castaic Question

aikenyounggun

First off, I may be wrong about this being an "original" Castaic, but I have no idea what to call it, a picture is posted (put a 9 inch slammer for size reference).

post-22116-0-21047300-1476745334_thumb.jpeg

I got this bait a couple years ago, knowing very little about it. I believed it to be a wake bait and got to talk to butch at the 2015 classic for a couple hours. I know he liked these baits, but I hadn't thrown mine yet and was still new to swimbaiting, so I didn't soak in all the info. Big mistake, either way, mine wakes at super super super slow speeds.

I mean turn the reel handle one turn and it tries to dive. Is this normal and it is supposed to be fished this slow? Mine with dive to 8-10 feet with pretty minimal effort (on the 5.4:1 Revo NaCl).

One of the things I remember Butch telling me was this one one with a "big" head or "fat" head, or something along those lines.

Just trying to figure out the best way to fish this sweet bait.

Thanks for the replies,

Isaac

Go on the Huddleston website and click on the "museum" tab in the header.  There is quite a bit of information about the origin of the original Huddleston trout.  I have the same bait and the same box.  I only have a handful of swimbaits that I won't fish and this is one of my few display-only baits.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for future reference if someone searches this:

I contacted Don (whose website is mentioned above)

Upon hearing mine didn't wake, he said some were weighted differently, some even were sinkers. He did say it was a first run of the second generation of Castaics.

I took it out one last time before retiring it to take some swim vids and pictures of the bait in the water. Mine does not sink. But will dive to 8-10 feet (estimated)

Hopefully helps someone down the road or one of y'all finds this interesting.

Thanks for the help