Fall Rat Tips - First Rat

Kyle Davidson

I have always wanted to buy a rat, specifically a TT Nezumma, really like the design of the lure. Just picked up a three piece XL in black and was curious if folks had any tips, especially on the three piece. One of my local spots has some great reed walls with grass lines. As the grass dies a bit  slot opens between the reeds and the grass. I was planning to work both sides of the weed line.

Any recommendations of retrieve? Appreciate any tips or pointers.

I did very well on the XL, but have never used their 3 piece.

I would say - stay away from a straight retrieve.  You will get many more bites if you do.  Though you can't really fish it wrong.

Set the hook on weight - not sound or sight.

Not all fish come up to eat.  Some come up to stun or disable the bait.  They will come back to finish off the lure.  When this happens - try to twitch the bait or act like a fleeing prey (without actually fleeing away).

Hope this helps!

I did very well on the XL, but have never used their 3 piece.

I would say - stay away from a straight retrieve.  You will get many more bites if you do.  Though you can't really fish it wrong.

Set the hook on weight - not sound or sight.

Not all fish come up to eat.  Some come up to stun or disable the bait.  They will come back to finish off the lure.  When this happens - try to twitch the bait or act like a fleeing prey (without actually fleeing away).

Hope this helps!

The hookset on weight is a nice little tip, I have had this happen with a 250 in ultra clear water. I do not see much about their 3 piece so it should be a fun little adventure :)

The hookset on weight is a nice little tip, I have had this happen with a 250 in ultra clear water. I do not see much about their 3 piece so it should be a fun little adventure :)

oh and... if you are unsure if a fish has your lure (due to an explosion or you are night fishing), just slowly pick up the line with a few SLOW reel cranks.  you will quickly find if there is a fish on.

Good luck!

I had a 3pc like you but nevr had much confidence in it as I would never get bit, then again I don't throw rats much like my spro as I don't have great experience or even any blowups on them. I'd go with the same approach you use on other baits, like others guys said, set on weight is my general guide for topwaters, and vary the retrieve. I wouldn't be afraid to deadstick it if you have another rod you can work.

Seeing as you're from Texas this might not apply but during the fall I get good bites on a really slow straight retrieve.Really Sloooow. It's not a big blowup but more of a slurp. Might be good for the colder days you get. post-21208-0-86494700-1477945210_thumb.jpg

post-21208-0-19089000-1477945332_thumb.jpg

The slurp is it! Blow-ups are great, but they're usually smaller fish. Painfully slow retrieve along cover or structure lines with some pauses.give it a 30 second pause every few casts,especially when it's with a foot or two of something it could "climb" on. Don't be afraid to fish it in 12" of water in the dark.