Flipside

Mobassman

OK, this isn't a swimbait fish caught be me. It was caught by my daughter. She broke off while fishing with her spinning setup and decided she wanted to learn to use a baitcaster instead of just retying.

I told her it wasn't that easy, that it takes practice. She informed me that it couldn't be that hard. She's stubborn that way, lol.

I grabbed a crankbait rod and showed her how to hold her thumb on the spool and when to release it when casting, etc, etc. She made her first cast and it was perfect! She looked over her shoulder and told me she knew it wasn't hard. LOL

I took her spinning rod back to the car and when I came back, she had grabbed my swimbait rod and was chucking a Jackall Mikey. It kind of scared me at first but she was casting like she'd used it all her life.

She was slow waking it in an eddy(she wanted to get a big striper) and I heard her scream. I get over to her and she has a big fish on! Thankfully, my girlfriend had the sense of mind to take some pics. I started to coach her and she just told me to be quiet, that this was HER fish. I told you she was stubborn, lol.

It wasn't a huge striper or bass. Turned out to be a big silver carp! On a wakebait! Needless to say, I'm very proud of her....even if she did hijack my swimbait rod. :D

Here's a couple pics.

post-92-14252984653897_thumb.jpgpost-92-14252984654465_thumb.jpgpost-92-14252984654893_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done!

Letting your kids use your swimbait gear is dangerous - both my 6-yr old son and 4-yr old daughter now insist that I bring two swimbait rods with us whenever we go fishing, and they prefer to use those to catch their fish. Still, I get a kick out of watching them slow-roll rats and wakebaits back in, and an even bigger kick when they catch fish (bass, so far), on them!