Top Water Rod??

neill10

Need to know what kind of topwater imo and technique. I go heavier with slammers wake jr. to wake and surprisingly light with a baby wake to wake and twitch, for examples...braid nonbraid is also an important consideration.

Baby Wake/Wake Jr..Braid. Main thing is I do not want to go over 7'3".

I saw the M1 phenix but just a little long for what I am wanting.

Packing it in the mini Cooper? Gonna be tough to find a heavy rated short rod that isn't a broom stick.

The phenix m1 stated above is a good choice..or the mh LDC white label but I think it's 7'9". Good luck

Edited by BigSlant

Like big slant said you're probably having trouble finding one because it doesn't really exist. Most 7-7'3" are going to be rated to around 1-1.5. Other than that it's going to be a broomstick. Maybe a ldc travel rod or something similar if it's a transportation problem? Unless you can find a glass rod that's underrated such as a cranking rod that's around 7 foot. But any swimbait rod will probably be around 7'6" to 8

Edited by MA Frog Man

My baby wake rig is a 6'6 jig rod that acts like a cranking rod and is rated for 1oz. I use 15lb yozuri hybrid with it..guy who built rod advises that my warranty is voided tho lol...I also throw buzz jets with it. I like it because rod loads up so well when fish hit....so I think you can get away with a non sb cranking or frog type rod for baby wake.....not so with wake jrs. which need a normal sb rod. I don't fish mine often enough because they throw heavier imo. and require time from sb rods that I have committed to other baits first....

Edited by bigpoppabass

Not sure if you tried yet but I can get rods bigger than 7'3 into my subcompact:

I have been very creative with my vehicles.  If your ceiling is high enough and you arent too tall - you can run 2 car clothes rack bars (1 in the front and 1 in the back).  I did this for a while and it works like a charm in a van/suv.

In my compact, I take advantage of the fact no one usually rides with me.  I have hatch type trunk, so I know exactly what you are talking about.  What I do is use the head rest of both the front and back seat - and I raise them up.  I only carry 1 - 2 rods and slip them through the openning.  I push the back seat one back down to hold the rods in place.  They dont move too much and they pretty much stay put during my commute.

FYI I do this with a 7'3, 8'0 and 8'6 rods without issue and I have a Scion xB (1st gen).

Hope this helps.

you can also trying putting the rod from the passenger footwell and angle it back to the drivers side rear.  that might give you the room you need.

Edited by T Dot