So many Rod Choices_Which one to get???

DC*ASU

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For that price range, you could get one of the LDC Production rods. Spiraled and microed, gonna be tough to touch it I think.

Do you have a website for the LDC Rods? Also, can I get a huge discount being that I am a competing college angler? Also, what does the LDC stand for? Sorry, somewhat "newer" to swimbaiting.

lol, not really the way to approach and ask that.

If thats the case, Ben wheres my discount??? LOL

Dude... you're coming across as entitled and a little arrogant with your college fishing background and by asking for a discount because of it. Just because you fish tournaments doesn't mean you're instantly entitled to get a better price, and especially not in the swimbait world. You'll find everybody on here doesn't really care who you're sponsored by, what boat you have, or who wrapped your truck. All that matters is your rep as a swimbaiter and the way you conduct yourself.

You say you've only been swimbaiting for about a year, and then argue with the guys who have been doing it for a lot longer about what rod would be good for the technique you describe. Not a good way to start...

If you want info on LDCs, ask Ben. He posted his contact info here. Could you email G. Loomis or Dobyns and be able to ask questions about their swimbait rods to the guy who designs and builds each one? The answer is no. With LDC, you easily can. Ben knows swimbaits and rod building. I guarantee if you call him you'll figure out what you want to know.

Not to mention, it makes the rest of the college anglers out there look bad having to be associated with this behavior.

<---see the avatar

Ok, asking about the LDC discount was a joke. I'm 25 and I've been fishing tournaments since I was 14. I'm not new to this, and I know that you don't get discounts and sponsorships by asking about it on a forum. That can I get a huge discount since I am a competing college angler was a joke, so I'm sorry about the misunderstanding on that. I didn't think anybody would take that serious because I didn't post it in a serious manner. So my bad for not making it clear that I was joking.

I'm not trying to argue with anybody. I posted a question asking if anybody had experience with some of the rods I am looking at and got an overwhelming reply of LDC or nothing else posts. Before this post, I really didn't know what LDC Rods were, and guys were telling me to buy one of the production rods. I then asked about the action of the LDC Rods and said that I liked the weight rating and that I also want a rod that has a soft tip because that is what I want in my next rod and I asked some guys to snap a pic or two so that i can see how "soft" the rod is.

When I said this at the end of the one post, I meant it because I love this site and I appreciate everybody's input and info: Thank you all for your input and understanding. You guys are awesome. I truly meant that, and everything I have said has been taken out of context. I don't want a stiff swimbait rod and was asking about how soft the tip is on the LDC, not trying to argue with anybody, just trying to ask questions about the rod that guys are telling me to just go out and buy. I can't afford to just go out and buy rods because people tell me I should try them out. I'm sorry for the misunderstandings, but wow I didn't say anything disrespectful to anybody, I didn't bash a single person, and I was legitimately trying to ask about the rods. I'm sorry for the misundertandings and I hope that if you reread my posts, I was not trying to be disrespectful and I was being genuine. Once again, sorry for the misunderstandings.

Here...viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3303

Any of your other questions about the rods could be answered by Ben himself. Like was mentioned before, good luck getting either of the Gary's to answer your questions directly.

I didn't get an opportunity to check that out, but I found the website and was looking at the LDC rods right after someone posted about them. I saw that they had a MH Rod and it seemed to be something I could be interested in, so that's when I asked about snapping a picture so I could see how the rod reacted to the weight of a 3 ounce bait and that was a legitimate request because I want a softer tip rod like the 904 Loomis. Sorry for the misunderstanding with you as well.

Wooooooweeeee. You guys are up today :lol:

DC, email Ben and talk about the production MH. It will meet and exceed your needs. Real soft tip, but back bone to set the hook on longer casts. Bends further down the blank than the custom rods. I can't get into detailed specifics, IE action ratios and what not, but for the baits you listed, would work perfect.

You can't beat that warranty either.

As far as other production rods go, it to me is most similar to the 795ML dobyns, with a bit different bend (Ben's own blanks). Where are you located, maybe someone around you has one they can let you try?

Geoff

For everybody that was so quick to judge me based off of a joke, I'm sorry you felt that way, but in no way am I any type of spoiled, "entitled" anything. I am able to go to ASU through a VA program called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment. It's a program for Veterans that are partially, or completely service-connected disabled. I am 50% disabled from my time in the Army, so I guess I am "entitled" to go to school for the sacrifices I made for our country. Just figured I'd throw out a little bit of who I am so that those who were so quick to judge me could at least get to know me a lil bit. No hard feelings on my end, just figured that maybe people shouldn't be so quick to judge others.

Thank you

For everybody that was so quick to judge me based off of a joke, I'm sorry you felt that way, but in no way am I any type of spoiled, "entitled" anything. I am able to go to ASU through a VA program called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment. It's a program for Veterans that are partially, or completely service-connected disabled. I am 50% disabled from my time in the Army, so I guess I am "entitled" to go to school for the sacrifices I made for our country. Just figured I'd throw out a little bit of who I am so that those who were so quick to judge me could at least get to know me a lil bit. No hard feelings on my end, just figured that maybe people shouldn't be so quick to judge others.

Thank you

we truly appreciate your service! internet crowd can be tough on ya now days. i myself is leaning toward purchasing a production rod. i emailed Ben today, still havent heard back from him.

Thank you

First off, you'll find EVERYBODY on here is grateful for your service. There are other veterans and active duty guys on the board, and their sacrifices for our country are VERY appreciated. You earned your college education, and have my thanks!

With regards to your post, while it may have seemed like a joke to you, it didn't come across that way because it was typed out. You can't distinguish tone on the internet, so humor doesn't work unless people already know you and your personality. Since you're new, all we have to judge you on is what you type out. So, we reacted based on that.

Using smilies actually makes a difference, and probably would have helped us realize you were joking. Hope you find what you're looking for, and I think you'll like what you learn about LDCs from Ben!

Best,

dude you came across as pretty arrogant.

If you are already convinced on a loomis why would you bother asking. Some of the guys on this board are about as legit as you can get when it comes to swimbaits. Monster 40 lb sacks and teeners and what not. Instead of writing about your pro-staff gig, you could have read the review and PM'd the owner/operator of LDC.

It reminds me of trying to tell people on the local forum how big baits catch big fish. Everyone has a story about catching a big bass on a dinky bait one time so little baits are just as good for big bass. Then you get like 10 pics from 10 different people of 3 lbers with maribou jigs or rooster tails in their mouths. All they want is reassurance not advice.

As far as your rod choices go. I have an oKuma 7'11 H. I hardly ever use it nowdays but it has a fairly soft tip. It does not belong in the conversation with premium rods like the ones you are considering.

You can't go wrong with a loomis I don't think. You said you can snag a loomis for under 200 from TW. That's a great deal

LDC uses a custom phenix blank I believe? Also, I think the customer service from LDC is unbeatable. I've heard of Ben from LDC doing some stuff on the customer service side that a large company can't/doesn't have to match. With shipping you are looking at 230 for that rod. That is a great deal also.

I've never used a LDC or a loomis. I have a dobyns though. The higher quality rods are the way to go if you have the money.

Good luck,

Dave

Thank you

What was your mos? Where were you stationed? Have you ever been downrange?

dude you came across as pretty arrogant.

If you are already convinced on a loomis why would you bother asking. Some of the guys on this board are about as legit as you can get when it comes to swimbaits. Monster 40 lb sacks and teeners and what not. Instead of writing about your pro-staff gig, you could have read the review and PM'd the owner/operator of LDC.

It reminds me of trying to tell people on the local forum how big baits catch big fish. Everyone has a story about catching a big bass on a dinky bait one time so little baits are just as good for big bass. Then you get like 10 pics from 10 different people of 3 lbers with maribou jigs or rooster tails in their mouths. All they want is reassurance not advice.

As far as your rod choices go. I have an oKuma 7'11 H. I hardly ever use it nowdays but it has a fairly soft tip. It does not belong in the conversation with premium rods like the ones you are considering.

You can't go wrong with a loomis I don't think. You said you can snag a loomis for under 200 from TW. That's a great deal

LDC uses a custom phenix blank I believe? Also, I think the customer service from LDC is unbeatable. I've heard of Ben from LDC doing some stuff on the customer service side that a large company can't/doesn't have to match. With shipping you are looking at 230 for that rod. That is a great deal also.

I've never used a LDC or a loomis. I have a dobyns though. The higher quality rods are the way to go if you have the money.

Good luck,

Dave

I'm not sold on a Loomis, but it's a possibility as is a Dobyns 795. I do like the Loomis 904, but it's not big enough, But I want the same qualities that are in the 904 in a bigger rod for a 1-5 oz range and a rod that has a nice soft tip paired with a blank that loads up good to launch smaller baits and also a forgiving tip so as not to rip treble hooks away from fish. The other reasoning for the soft tip is to work topwaters. Do you have the Dobyns 795? If so, how do you like it? Anybody throw a Loomis 955?

What was your mos? Where were you stationed? Have you ever been downrange?

21V Concrete and Asphalt Equipment Operator

Basic and AIT at Lost in the Woods, then stationed at Leonard Wood. Deployed to COB Speicher Iraq in 2007. Performed IED Searches, RCR, Built Checkpoints, Trained IAs, Part of a small Engineer Detachment and I never once sat in a Hummer on a mission. My TC and I's boots were on the ground and we were busting our asses every single mission. I drove an LMTV and when there was Equipment running on the ground, I was the one running it. During Rapid Crater Repair missions, it was my TC and I doin work. I loved it. I then got injured and was medivac'd out of country in 2008. Went back to a Med unit for recovery(which never fully happened lol). After being there for 4 months, I was sent to Fort Lewis, WA. Finished out my last days there and got out in May of 2009.