The Building Process: A Step-By-Step Tutorial on How to Get Started

danthefisherman

Hello SU!

As some of you may know, I've recently been working on writing up a simple step-by-step tutorial on how to mold and pour your own hard baits. I've been getting a lot of requests from beginners for tips on how to improve or start out and thought this would be the most effective way to help you guys. To be completely honest, I am no pro...but I have gone through a lot of the process myself and can at least share some of my experience on what not to do hahaha.

This is just a rough draft and could use improvement and/or clarification. It would be great if any of you have input on how to make it better and more user comprehensive/friendly. You could also help me on grammar haha. There's a lot to get lost in and I might have missed something. This thing took me a LOT of time and brain cells to put together, but I see it as just one other way for me to give back to all of you who have helped me along. Hopefully it's helpful. Enjoy!

http://lilpiggyswimbaits.wixsite.com/lilpiggyswimbaits

Dan, it is clear you put a heck of a lot of time and effort into the tutorial.  Great job!  I'm sure this will be serious help and inspiration to people getting started making baits.

I've made a few wooden baits over the years- nothing as complex as yours.  I have found that making your own baits does a couple of things.  First it gives you a greater appreciation for the skill and artistry of the good, established swimbaitmakers we have.  You get some sense of how much trial and error work was and is done by guys like Mickey, Matt, Andrew, Brock, Ken, Randall, Jerry, etc, in order to get their baits to the finished commercial stage.  Secondly, it gives you a better understanding of what small changes in weighting, hook/line-tie positions, joint spacing, etc will do to the action of a bait.  This allows you to intelligently tweak the baits you already own to adjust for specific conditions.

Thanks for contributing the tutorial.  I think we are all looking forward to seeing what you guys do in the future.

Great break down!!!!!!! keep up the good work brotha!!!!

Thanks Adam! You too man...I can't wait to see your gill finished!

Dan, it is clear you put a heck of a lot of time and effort into the tutorial.  Great job!  I'm sure this will be serious help and inspiration to people getting started making baits.

I've made a few wooden baits over the years- nothing as complex as yours.  I have found that making your own baits does a couple of things.  First it gives you a greater appreciation for the skill and artistry of the good, established swimbaitmakers we have.  You get some sense of how much trial and error work was and is done by guys like Mickey, Matt, Andrew, Brock, Ken, Randall, Jerry, etc, in order to get their baits to the finished commercial stage.  Secondly, it gives you a better understanding of what small changes in weighting, hook/line-tie positions, joint spacing, etc will do to the action of a bait.  This allows you to intelligently tweak the baits you already own to adjust for specific conditions.

Thanks for contributing the tutorial.  I think we are all looking forward to seeing what you guys do in the future.

Right on, Wayne. You never know how much really goes into it until you try. Thank you for the encouraging words.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan - you and your brother are an inspiration to Swimbait Underground! You both will go very far in life because of your ingenuity and high motivation.Keep up the great work and it will pay off in ways you can't even imagine at this point in life.Best Wishes to your family during the Holiday Season! Cheers!

Always doing helpful things with caring words and actions.. Never change Dan

Thank you, Maggie...and you too! Thanks for all the encouragement you've given thus far. It really serves as good motivation to keep it up!

Dan - you and your brother are an inspiration to Swimbait Underground! You both will go very far in life because of your ingenuity and high motivation.Keep up the great work and it will pay off in ways you can't even imagine at this point in life.Best Wishes to your family during the Holiday Season! Cheers!

Thanks for the affirmation JC! It's all because of the awesome people here on SU and their help that we are at this point so far haha. I think it's awesome how I can connect with people I've never even met before through this shared passion we have for the sport, especially since I don't really know many people around me who like to fish (sad but true). Best wishes to you too! Go catch a big one!