Today is a good day

ScummyBadger

I was trying to reach some tullies like 60yds out from shore, and was chucking a Weighted Weedless Rising Son as far as I could.

Was able to do it for a couple casts, but i was casting like a mad man. On like the 3rd cast I threw it super hard and being all crazy I bumped the handle and it engaged mid cast, it tried to engage but the spool didn't stop and made a crazy "Grrgrrgrrgrr" noise.

After that the clicker button and handle got locked up. Took it apart and looked like the spool got bumped off track, but after putting it back together it's all messed up now still. Sent it off to Bass Ops today in hopes to get it fixed by n expert, as I am about as clueless as they come to fixing reels.

All fairness to Daiwa, this was completely my fault and me being a little ridiculous.

Unfortunately, this Reel is only manufactured in Japan so I would have to contact them and send the Reel in, which has basically been an inconvenient to me. So just a fair warning, make sure to not do what I did and you should be good.

Prior to it messing up, it was running flawlessly with all size baits and I stuck about 5-6 fish no problem with it.

The hookup is the truth

+1

Wanted to put it out there that The Hook Up reached out today to explain why some preorders were delayed and offered options to switch over to colors that were available sooner.  Kudos to them for getting in front of the situation and taking action, these guys are good to go.

What happene to the shrapnel? I also have a calcutta conquest and wanted to try to the shrapnel to see which one I like better.

The Shrapnel, if accidentally engaged during the cast with heavy baits, actually BENDS the pinion gear it self. The only way to fix that is either find a way to safely and precisely bend the pinion gear back straight, or order the complete gear set from Daiwa Japan ($100). they won't sell you just the pinion gear, tried several different suppliers and got the same answer from all of them. 

But if the reel itself is slightly off from production, it could happen again and again, until you swap and measure enough parts to fix it. 

Now that Daiwa USA brought the reel over I bet they will be able to fix it. Also they have services my JDM reels at the cypress location. I have fished the reel for over two years with only oiling the reel. Would deff recommend a bigger handle. Also switch the breaks out the come in the box to the bigger ones