Reel Knob Maitenance

bigpoppabass

I greatly improved the smoothness of a couple of reels by doing a simple trick I learned this year. You remove the knob cover (located on outside middle of knob with flat screwdriver) and simply straw spray wd 40 into the space then turn knob. Use a cotton swab to catch dirt and wd 40 coming thru other side. It is amazing how much dirt gets in there. I have attached a pic of where to start....taking off knob is a pain and often u stretch it so no need to do that. Knob cover pops back in easily by hand when done. Good luck folks.

post-20499-0-63973200-1480783511_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigpoppabass

Most higher end reels surprisingly have bushings instead of bearings. Easy to swap. Ceramic tend to be louder if you run them dry because ceramic is harder. But flush them out when you get them and a drop of oil and they shouldn't be too much louder

How do u take knob off without warping it to do bearing switch? Tx for the good ideas.

Most reels have screws that attach the knobs (inside the knob). There are some, especially shimano that have reverse threaded screws in there, so be careful. There are however, some older reels that have riveted knobs that can't be removed. 

You simply un-do the screw, and slide the knob off. Not sure why any have warped on you, unless they weren't meant to be removed. 

Most reels have screws that attach the knobs (inside the knob). There are some, especially shimano that have reverse threaded screws in there, so be careful. There are however, some older reels that have riveted knobs that can't be removed. 

You simply un-do the screw, and slide the knob off. Not sure why any have warped on you, unless they weren't meant to be removed.

Thanks good idea. But I think u are taking about handle not knob that soft piece u reel over.

Thanks good idea. But I think u are taking about handle not knob that soft piece u reel over.

When you take that knob cover off there should be a screw right under it. Unscrew that and the soft handle just comes off. I think Geoff knows what he's talking about haha

bigpoppa: what they're saying is if it's riveted then you've done all you can do. If busing supported then perhaps upgrade.

You mention Daiwa Coastal, I assume last generation Zillion? That handle assembly is riveted, bearing upgrade is not possible. As for boca, I agree they're pretty loud, but you'll not notice at one spin per handle rotation vs several thousand rpm at spool. Big difference. As for knobs, good old abec 3's suffice and come stock on casters with bearing supported knobs. Stock spool bearings are sometimes abec 5's which is good (stock on Zillion Coastal), but not as good as abec 7, much less any of the abec 9's on the market.