Anyone else out there actually swam for a bait?

Nolan Aker

I snagged a tree on a cast with my lucky derps at the time, like bait out of the water on a branch. During a tournament with 15 minutes till weigh in. While shaking it vigorously while driving over to it with the trolling motor, some other dude trying to talk to me at the same time, he said something about his pops passing away and I kinda gave him my attention and as I did that my bait somehow flipped off the branch, shot 30 feet in the air straight up to the point me and my partner where like "where the f$&k it go"? Then it splashed down line cut 20 feet from me in 7 feet of murky water. I instantly drove over to where it splashed down, marked the graph, ditched my phone and jumped in. Couldn't find it. Grabbed my net. Snapped the handle on it trying to dredge the bottom. Never found it. Then went and had to weigh in dripping wet and missing my favorite bait. Never got it back and I remember that tournament sucked. We shouldn't have even bother weighing in and just stayed looking for the bait. Still bummed over that day. Lol

Couple weeks ago snapped a hudd on a hookset. Pretty confident it wasn't a fish but I have next to zero hudd experience, so I swing a lot. I assumed it was on brush, started taking the clothes off. Got the towels out. Both my buddies called me crazy. 61 water temp, colder air temp.

Talked myself into after ten minutes, goggles on and flippers on. I always heard from my dad growing up to know where your cast landed and keep track of your bait. Well made my buddy put the boat where I wanted, jumped in the back deck (slid in may be a better term).

Dove down to about 8 feet, didn't see any immediate structure, just rock, and thought "this may take a while/be a lost cause". Swam no more than 5 feet skimming the bottom, looked forward, and boom, nose down hudd. I came up with it and was pretty excited.

JC u really just made me cringe because I just swam for a phoney last week. I will say I am very familiar with the alligator population (or lack of) in my private lake. Like bassbass said living down here better just write it off and move on.

If you are on a boat keep a homemade lure marker and a cast net for cast offs and you may get lucky (wont work for snap offs because of the structure u broke off on). And obviously musky lure retriever for snags pays for itself first time you use it

Slants right, I've swam twice...Once for an OG Butch Brown 250 Trout and once for my Roman Made Mother... For the Mother it was winter, cold, and windy out...I had like (3) layers of clothes on and jumped in with everything on including my shoes and jacket...I couldn't see my Mother but jumped in the area of the splash down and got lucky and felt for it...Grabbed it as it was sinking down in about 8-10ft of water...It made for a cold day of fishing but I got Mom back...I'd do it again...

Edited by YELOSUB