Anyone else out there actually swam for a bait?

Nolan Aker

I always keep a dive mask and 44 mag lure retriever with me.  The 44 works 90% of the time. Because of that, I usually only go swimming if I am shore fishing (can't get correct angle to use retriever), or the bait snapped off. 

In Summer- I will go swimming for just about anything over $5 in the summer. Good way to cool off. 

In the winter- I will go in for anything $30 or up.

Latest cold water swim was last winter. Snapped a 250 off on a fish in 8 FOW. Came back the later day and found it about 10 yards further up creek in 3FOW. 

Best recovery was when a rod/reel set up fell overboard when unhooking a fish. Luckily only in 5ft FOW. But there was slight current so I lost position of the Kayak. My buddy and I spent the next 20 min dragging our feet around, at 1AM, in the middle of winter.  My bud then let out a "ouch"... he got the hook in his foot. We kept pulling the line until the combo finally came to surface. Funny how stuff like that work out.

Edited by C_R_TX

I always keep a dive mask and 44 mag lure retriever with me.  The 44 works 90% of the time. Because of that, I usually only go swimming if I am shore fishing (can't get correct angle to use retriever), or the bait snapped off. 

In Summer- I will go swimming for just about anything over $5 in the summer. Good way to cool off. 

In the winter- I will go in for anything $30 or up.

Latest cold water swim was last winter. Snapped a 250 off on a fish in 8 FOW. Came back the later day and found it about 10 yards further up creek in 3FOW. 

Best recovery was when a rod/reel set up fell overboard when unhooking a fish. Luckily only in 5ft FOW. But there was slight current so I lost position of the Kayak. My buddy and I spent the next 20 min dragging our feet around, at 1AM, in the middle of winter.  My bud then let out a "ouch"... he got the hook in his foot. We kept pulling the line until the combo finally came to surface. Funny how stuff like that work out.

I have two plug knockers that are attached to rod and reels. The 44 mag comes in when the 1st plug knocker fails. It works nearly 100% of the time if you position the knocker over the snag before sending it down. 

I was fishing with a buddy in the summer and he hooked into a 20 pound stripe on his favorite bait and it got him hung in a tree about 12ft down. He trolled over handed me the rod and in he went after a few minutes he was able to free the line and we got the fish and bait back.

My first deps175. I swam for it about 20 yards out and 15ish feet under. It was early morning around 7. Got back and it was freezing cold. Guy walks up and asked if the water was cold. I said no and continue to try and Catch My Breath and not freeze to death. Hook was stuck on so good I had to pull it off and strighten the split rings. Would I do it again, NO.

lost an alpha trout and two 8in hudd yesterday. Just went home.

Deps Bullshooter Jr, members edition. Hung it up 10 feet in front of me in a small park pond. I was slightly concerned on getting the cops called on me as I striped to my underwear. Ended up losing it a month later on some pump grates.

For me the worst was getting my Negotiator hung up at the same pond. It was against a wall with decades of overgrowth. Rather than swim I thought I'd be slick and come from the shore. Turns out I blazed a trail through 20ft of poison sumac... Talk about two weeks of hell. It was EVERYWHERE.

For those that play in the waters where hypothermia can take place within minutes, there is no gear or lure worth risking your life over. Don't be foolish.  

You should read about the stories of guys ice fishing on the great lakes or huge inland lakes up here.  Those guys have balls of plutonium from a different dimension. Driving their heavy duty trucks out when conditions are "iffy". No thanks......

That said, I've been pretty fortunate and haven't had to swim for anything.  Gone in a few times up to my waist/chest. Lure retriever and using 65/80# braid have saved me most of the time. 

My first deps175. I swam for it about 20 yards out and 15ish feet under. It was early morning around 7. Got back and it was freezing cold. Guy walks up and asked if the water was cold. I said no and continue to try and Catch My Breath and not freeze to death. Hook was stuck on so good I had to pull it off and strighten the split rings. Would I do it again, NO.

lost an alpha trout and two 8in hudd yesterday. Just went home.

Smart move. 

I lost a Bullshooter 160 a couple Summers ago. It was one of my new favorite baits as it pulled a few of my first SB ever. I backlashed and snapped it off a hundred yards away on a point. I quickly trolled over, anchored my boat and got in. There was about 4ft worth of quicksand-type muck and brush on the bottom. The water was stained slightly, so diving without a mask was pointless. I walked around hoping to get hooked by one of the trebles for over an hour. No luck.

Went back to the pond a year later with a fellow SU member and searched the area on our way back in from an outing. Did not find my bait, but did find a knockoff GoPro in the same spot. Still works to this day. Win some lose some.

Snagged one of my cheaper swimbaits over summer but the water was warm, i had a mask, and decided to swim for it, only to find out that it was barely hung up on a branch and had 3 HUGE fish staring right at it! haha, i cant stop thinking that i probably could have gotten them to hit it if i was able to pop it off and it made me realize i probably have fish staring at my bait every cast haha

Also snapped off my deps and it landed in about 15ft of water, sank down, and i had to look for about 30 mintues before finially finding it, it was freezing

If the water temp is 60°f < (if its colder, it has to be an expensive bait). I swim for everything. I don't care of the value of the lure. Over that last month i've dove in for rat-L-traps, divers, soft plastics, and a few other baits. I always have freedive fins and a mask/snorkel in the boat/yak. Deepest i've gone so far was last summer when I was slow rolling a lipless crankbait for whitebass and I hung up on a sunken tree. The water depth was 45ft and the tree extended to about 35ft. I put on my gear and dove down and saw my bait on a branch along with a few others from previous victims. Needless to say, after a few more dives I got a my bait along with a bunch of others. Good thing I also spearfish and know how to dive.