Need some wakebait hel

EasternMassBass

Really struggling to get straight retrieves without spinning out from my wakebaits (similar to a slammer/pats/rat). Problem I believe is lip placement and V-joints.

Is there a good way to cut the V-notches/joints by hand? Any tool that would help without breaking the bank?

And how are you guys cutting the lip slot for your wakes?

Thanks all

For cutting the joints, Ive found that a thin blade pull saw works very well.  As far as the notch for the lip, if you have one, a table saw makes life pretty easy, and can be done fairly easy with a band saw, just have to make multiple passes to get the width you need for the lexan.

Travis has some good advice. Don't beat yourself up. It's definitely difficult to get everything perfect, and I feel that it's a problem every bait maker runs into pretty early on. One thing that has helped me is cutting the joint, and bill slots when the bait is still square. Before you sand and round things off. Leaving just a small portion of the joints in tact and cutting it after you are satisfied with the shape so you can still carve the bait as a single piece. I have used a band saw, and a dovetail saw. I get better acuracy with the dovetail as it has a very tall blade profile that helps keep the saw on track and cutting straight once set in motion.

I hope that helps.

I agree wholeheartedly with Trav & Lakeshark....cutting joint with stock still square has made my life much happier....i sketch my lure on the stock so i have factory square & flat bottom i then mark locations , using a small adjustable square to draw lines & cut away...usually works as Lakeshark stated don't cut completely thru shape/sand then finish the cut......as for lip slots on round topwaters (when using round stock) for slammer type baits i use my band saw with the sliding miter fence putting the pc of wood against it then make several small cut to achieve desired width/depth....hope this helps....again don't beat yourself up keep at it...my wife is laughing at me 'cuz i can give this advice but i have difficulty in listening to my own words...

Travis! That shad is sweet!

Thank you. Didn't notice it was in the picture honestly.  I've been working on that for months, just haven't had a lot of time to mess with it.  I would've taken another picture without it if I/d noticed it was in there haha