Looking at some new swimbait reels.

DownSouthBassin

Line capacity is the most overrated number in swimbaiting..you'll never cast more than 60-80yds..if you can huck it further your looking at testing the break strength of the line..imo..if you have a reel that can accommodate 150-175yds of 17-20# mono/flouro your good on 90% of your casting needs..as you move to heavier baits then the gears/braking/drag force and parts need to beef up and that happens a lot in the larger capacity reels..there are still a lot of 100/200 size reels that have quality parts and will be softer on the wallet

i agree with this. Depends on youre style of fishing. Ive found that a reel that will get me about 100-120 yards of line has become my go to. Probably because I fish mostly topwater. That being said if you're looking at spending 300+ then I'd cross the first 4 off the list and start looking at some higher end reels. If you want to save a little then the lexa will get you where you need to go for 1/3 of the price. You'll start small but you'll almost always start throwing bigger baits sooner or later. Better off getting a quality reel now then buying twice down the road.

You don't have it on your list, but the Lews BB2 would be my choice for what you're wanting to throw. It's got plenty of line capacity (same as Curado 300) but it's the size of a 200 reel and, most importantly, it's pretty cheap. You can even get the "Pro" version for a little more and it has some nice upgrades. My brother and I use this reel to throw our Deps 250's exclusively and we have caught some really big fish with it (Multiple DD's). It's never had a hiccup. It's still super smooth and strong. I'd take a look at it. I believe tackle warehouse has the pro version on sale right now too but I would check eBay.

The other reel that is a good reel for the price that would fit your needs is the Daiwa Tatula type HD. It's cheap and tough though not as refined feeling as the Lews IMO. But functionally it's great.

I don't use any of the reels on your list but I can tell you this; you get what you pay for. Longevity is a legit consideration. Heavy baits and/or heavy use will flat wear a cheapo out. In the long term, you'll end up dropping coin anyway.

But since you don't yet know your preference, I'd suggest getting a couple lesser dollar options until you determine what you need. Overall size and overall capacity are not the same thing. Some guys don't mind big reels, some do. It just depends.

You don't have it on your list, but the Lews BB2 would be my choice for what you're wanting to throw. It's got plenty of line capacity (same as Curado 300) but it's the size of a 200 reel and, most importantly, it's pretty cheap. You can even get the "Pro" version for a little more and it has some nice upgrades. My brother and I use this reel to throw our Deps 250's exclusively and we have caught some really big fish with it (Multiple DD's). It's never had a hiccup. It's still super smooth and strong. I'd take a look at it. I believe tackle warehouse has the pro version on sale right now too but I would check eBay.

The other reel that is a good reel for the price that would fit your needs is the Daiwa Tatula type HD. It's cheap and tough though not as refined feeling as the Lews IMO. But functionally it's great.

I came across the BB2 this weekend and that thing look nice and beefy for a 200 reel. First thing I notice was the deep spool. Too bad they don't have it left hand in the slower gears.

For the baits you listed, I'll propose another reel: the Diawa Tatula HD. It has good line capacity, really easy to throw, super smooth, and insane casting distance. If you're going to be lobbing 8 in Hudds, Deps 250 and other large baits, then probably reel #6. I have a Citrix 364, and it's a decent reel. Can handle a little rough, but I don't mind a little extra noise.

I use an older 200 size curado for those size baits. Those baits don't require heavy gear or increased spool capacity. 

The only reason I didn't recommend a 200-sized reel (Tatula) is that he didn't say what size Triple Trout he is planning to throw and I'm assuming it's a proper ten inch version, not one of the smaller ones. That's  a bit big for a 200 sized reel, but some might handle it just fine.

Line capacity is the most overrated number in swimbaiting..you'll never cast more than 60-80yds..if you can huck it further your looking at testing the break strength of the line..imo..if you have a reel that can accommodate 150-175yds of 17-20# mono/flouro your good on 90% of your casting needs..as you move to heavier baits then the gears/braking/drag force and parts need to beef up and that happens a lot in the larger capacity reels..there are still a lot of 100/200 size reels that have quality parts and will be softer on the wallet

Bill Siemental might disagree with you see his cadence vid. The line capacity comment is true if u can get same constant velocity on retrieve. Otherwise bait will come back at different speeds making it tough to predict cadence that works. Me personally, braid versus non braid is where line capacity issues arise. I am convinced that curado 301s are braid reels but they also do great for a decent pitch cast on nonbraid, but being on nonbraid is out of the question imo.

Bill Siemental might disagree with you see his cadence vid. The line capacity comment is true if u can get same constant velocity on retrieve. Otherwise bait will come back at different speeds making it tough to predict cadence that works.

IPT is compromised at length no matter what reel used. But, you've brought up a valid point... Larger spools mitigate IPT degradation better. It's true. In my book, this is where high speed helps most. It's easier slow winding near capacity than speed winding against it.

I recently got a Abu toro Nacl and I Iover it. I find the extra line capacity to be a big help. Its a world of difference throwing swimbaits on a reel that was intended for throwing big baits. These are not made anymore but if you keep an eye out I see the for sale in the black market from time to time.

IPT is compromised at length no matter what reel used. But, you've brought up a valid point... Larger spools mitigate IPT degradation better. It's true. In my book, this is where high speed helps most. It's easier slow winding near capacity than speed winding against it.

I agree with the ipt concept..we have the argument all the time about gear ratio vs. Ipt..most people start off to bat thinking they need 300yds of 25# line to cast and s waver 200yds..it's not gonna happen..your also probably never going to spool 150 yds fighting a LMB..those are the misconceptions I was referring to..the IPT is probably the most important Factor especially when using glides..Imo the 32" ipt on my big shooter is necessary to move the mother with a nice glide..but horrible for an S waver..so referring to the OP..with those baits mentioned the Toro Beast is not a match imo..however I do think it's one of the best reels on the market so if you plan on moving up to larger glides sooner than later or if your budget will only allow for one reel for awhile then go with it

Edited by BigSlant

For the baits listed go with the Daiwa Tatula HD...Man that reel is great for the medium sized baits...Don't get me wrong, I love my Revo Toro NaCl 60 and my Big Shooter but when it comes to the smaller stuff, like rats, triple trouts, Hudd 68's, flutter spoons, Negotiators, etc my Daiwa Tatula HD is superb!

Edited by YELOSUB

The only reason I didn't recommend a 200-sized reel (Tatula) is that he didn't say what size Triple Trout he is planning to throw and I'm assuming it's a proper ten inch version, not one of the smaller ones. That's  a bit big for a 200 sized reel, but some might handle it just fine.

The 10" triple trout is only 4.5 oz. It's actually a relatively light bait for its size. I fish the 250 (which is over 6 oz.) on a Lews bb2 which is a 200 size reel. I would just make sure it's got a fairly deep spool.