Replacing trebles with double hooks on glidebaits

tckwilson

Just wondering if anybody has done this? My idea is to clip off the bottom hook on treble or find double hooks to replace trebles with. I was thinking that the hook.would ride up and tuck in against the side of the bait with no bottom hook to snag on the bottom or wood. One of my spots is loaded with laydowns. I thought this might cut down on my hang ups. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Thanks

• 5 years later...

Know this is an old post but new here and would like to give my thoughts. I’ve done this on everything I use that uses trebles. Started doing it fishing redeye bass streams with single hooks. Saw an incredible increase in landed fish without the damage caused by trebles. I know I’ll get hate for this but I’d love to see them outlaw treble hooks. They are by far the worst and most outdated thing from the past in fishing that has somehow just managed to continue being used. It’s a huge handicap and causes unlanded fish, lost lures, and killed fish.

13 hours ago, BrettRay81 said:

Know this is an old post but new here and would like to give my thoughts. I’ve done this on everything I use that uses trebles. Started doing it fishing redeye bass streams with single hooks. Saw an incredible increase in landed fish without the damage caused by trebles. I know I’ll get hate for this but I’d love to see them outlaw treble hooks. They are by far the worst and most outdated thing from the past in fishing that has somehow just managed to continue being used. It’s a huge handicap and causes unlanded fish, lost lures, and killed fish.

I think there’s a monstrous difference between trebles on a swimbait vs trebles on a conventional bait. A 2” crankbait is getting sucked down to the gullet. A 9” slammer is not. I’ve been fishing swimbaits for about 18 years. I certainly don’t remember all the fish I’ve caught, but I can safely say that in the past 5 or 6 years, I can only specifically recall catching two fish that I worried may die. A billrilla fish that sucked it way down and I couldn’t get in there to get the hook out. I blame that fact that the hooks were quads. The other fish got a treble in the gill. Both fish bled, but both fish swam off. I don’t know if they made it or not. I hate to see a fish die more than most people. But in those past 5 or 6 years I’ve caught THOUSANDS of fish. 

Two fish that were injured from trebles over the course of 5+ years out of thousands of fish. 

12 hours ago, Mossypumpkin said:

I think there’s a monstrous difference between trebles on a swimbait vs trebles on a conventional bait. A 2” crankbait is getting sucked down to the gullet. A 9” slammer is not. I’ve been fishing swimbaits for about 18 years. I certainly don’t remember all the fish I’ve caught, but I can safely say that in the past 5 or 6 years, I can only specifically recall catching two fish that I worried may die. A billrilla fish that sucked it way down and I couldn’t get in there to get the hook out. I blame that fact that the hooks were quads. The other fish got a treble in the gill. Both fish bled, but both fish swam off. I don’t know if they made it or not. I hate to see a fish die more than most people. But in those past 5 or 6 years I’ve caught THOUSANDS of fish. 

Two fish that were injured from trebles over the course of 5+ years out of thousands of fish. 

I don’t doubt your honesty and by going by your words I can say you’ve caught way more fish than me but I still, trebles are a handicap. Plain and simple. They just are. Replace those trebles with double hooks and see what I mean. Swim baits and glides get doubles on both hooks. Crank baits get double up front that allows it to tuck in and not catch on stuff and rear hook gets a single. It’s just a better more productive way to fish without worrying about snagging and loosing fish. I run into every piece of debris and rocks I can find now

@BrettRay81 just curious, but how do you know that you are not missing hook ups by swapping to double or single hooks? The concept does have some nice pros (I.e. less chance of snags or damage to fish), but at the end of the day isn’t hooking and landing fish the priority especially when bites are hard to come by? To me, running double and/or single hooks is more of a handicap than using trebles.

I haven’t caught as many swimbait fish as Jesse, but of the ones that i have caught only one of those I was worried might not make it (hooked through a gill raker with a cutting point st-41). Fortunately the hook popped out with minimal damage and I actually caught the same fish alive and well about a month later.

Interesting topic, would love to hear other people’s theories.

6 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

@BrettRay81 just curious, but how do you know that you are not missing hook ups by swapping to double or single hooks? The concept does have some nice pros (I.e. less chance of snags or damage to fish), but at the end of the day isn’t hooking and landing fish the priority especially when bites are hard to come by? To me, running double and/or single hooks is more of a handicap than using trebles.

I haven’t caught as many swimbait fish as Jesse, but of the ones that i have caught only one of those I was worried might not make it (hooked through a gill raker with a cutting point st-41). Fortunately the hook popped out with minimal damage and I actually caught the same fish alive and well about a month later.

Interesting topic, would love to hear other people’s theories.

What you don’t see is where the opposite side treble that’s not in its mouth has raked and punctured their gills, eyes, and stomach. Anyone that says that double hooks are a handicap is a person that has indeed never fished with double hooks. 

Saltwater guys don't seem to lose a step when swapping to single hooks on jerkbaits and other hard baits, not giving up trebles on my swimbaits as they don't seem to cause me or the fish any grief but I can see the possible benefits for avoiding snagging on wood and debris. 

I have recently been trying the Ryugi pierce twins on a few baits and the only issue I have seen or had is that they do suck up quite tight to the bait. I have had a few good bites on the ghost and never even got a hook in them. I like the stealth factor of them and I’m not giving up just yet. 

8 hours ago, SoCalBassBum said:

I have recently been trying the Ryugi pierce twins on a few baits and the only issue I have seen or had is that they do suck up quite tight to the bait. I have had a few good bites on the ghost and never even got a hook in them. I like the stealth factor of them and I’m not giving up just yet. 

Some people run them reverse so it’s opposite of tucking in. That takes away the snag advantage but definitely still gives the advantage of not raking treble hooks in the fishes face and gills and in my opinion when hooked on doubles they are on there for good. I’ve yet to catch any 5lbs plus to see how they perform but my area is home to the Alabama spotted bass and the home to the redeye bass and there’s no harder fighting black bass species around than those and have had no problems yet.

I think the major problem with the ghost and the ryugi hooks is the swivel hook hangers. The hooks turn around and tuck tight no matter how I rig them. I assume this will be the problem with any bait with swivel hook hangers. I love the hooks and am going to continue experimenting.