Simple tip

Sprint61

I'm sure a lot of you guys on here are like me and fish from a small craft such as a kayak, Jon boat or like me a two man raider type boat. Something I came to realize is it's hard to handle a big fish in these small boats and keep them healthy. Mainly injuries happen by laying the fish in the floor of the boat or lipping it while digging a scale and ruler out and trying to get a good picture. I came up with a very simple idea that can take care of the fish while you prepare for measurements, pictures, or whatever you plan to do with the fish. My answer to this was a $0.88 mesh laundry bag from wal mart. Simply place the fish in the bag and hang it off the side of the boat until your ready to do whatever it is you wanna do. Clearly this is much better for a fish then being out of water, I came up with this late in the season but I had several big fish in the bag and it worked great all fish swam away healthy.

That's actually a great idea. You nailed the reason I don't care what my largest weigh, don't care about a photo, simply scream out and lip it in water until it's ready to go. I've wrestled with a few I know would have made publication but I'm more proud securing safe release above all else. Believe me, don't believe me, I don't care.

It's often enough to pull hooks alone, much less dance around with it, and in no event should it be placed on the floor. Ever. I've seen guys place them down, or on rocks along the shore, and watch it beat the hell out of itself all in name of a stupid photo. Pathetic.

I applaud your vision and concern. Best of luck to you, sir.

Didn't know they made something for this very reason, that's cool! I do have to say though I think I would prefer the laundry bag because you can sinch the top closed and can make it fit in a very small place, and of course price. Here's a link to the one I use for who asked it says $2 but I only paid $0.88 at my local wal mart.

post-28048-0-83875200-1483632990_thumb.jpg I've seen what musky / pike fishermen refer to as "cradle nets" that are used at boat side...these would work for boaters , probably not for 

kayaks/floaters...although I'm sure with a little patience & ingenuity one could make their own (just down scale it).... web site for this net is Frabill .com

Edited by surfk9

Great subject Trav,  gold star to you for helping us all protect the future of bass fishing for us and future generations. On the same note, it makes me sick when you watch the Big Boy bass tournaments on T.V. only to watch the bass they swing into the boat bounce around off of everything in the boat.