Cabela's and Bass Pro Gift Cards. Rod and Reel needed.

Zack Carscaddon

Hey everyone I'm still new to the swimbait game and been trying to read up and learn as much as I can about big baits! I have gift cards to Cabela's ($170) and Bass Pro ($125) and was wondering from your experience which is better to get a rod  and a reel from. I have cards for the amounts listed, I can add more $ with some budgeting and time.

I have bought a few large swimbaits and love to throw them. So far I have Deps Bullshooter 160's and Jr, Bulldozer 160, and SS 175. I also have a few S-wavers and black dog baits shellcracker and shellcracker G2. My current hardware is limited. I have a Cabela's Tournament Trail rod weighted for 3/4 - 2 1/4 oz. This rob is more than maxed out with my current baits and I need to move to a better setup. I also have an older Abu Garcia 6600 that was previously used to salt water fish but I've restored it for swimbaits.

I am looking to invest in a rod that can throw Deps 250's and Bullshooter 190's as well as the current baits I have. So a rod in the 2-8 oz range would be perfect. Also should I buy a different reel or keep the Abu Garcia?  I think it's a 6600 and 5:2:1 gear ratio. I don't have a lot of $ and would like to use the gift cards. I've researched their websites and BPS seems pretty slim, Cabela's is more promising but expensive. Saw the Okuma SST at Cabela's and BPS had a St. Croix Legend which is $290 and rated 1-4 oz.

I'm down here in eastern NC if anyone local has any advice. Which baits, time of year, color, technique, anything is welcome. I mainly bank fish in small to medium bodies of water. Had some luck on swimbaits but haven't had the tools to really see what I can catch with them.

Edited by Pack Man Zack

Rod:

Daiwa DX - XHeavy (3-10oz)

should be perfect with your BPS $$. Check the member reviews before you pull the trigger. 

Reel:

Daiwa Lexa 300H/HL (6.3:1)

great all around reel and a few extra $$ over the Cabelas card. 

my buddy has this same set up and loves it.