Finder

buttaluns

I did a quick search and didn't really see what I was looking for so apologies if this exist. Anyways, I am all in this year, and one thing i would like to incorporate that I really do not have much experience with is a fish finder. Before I would have good success hitting your typical areas and and structure, but i feel like I was missing a lot of opportunities by not knowing if there was hidden structure etc below. So, what kind of finders are you guys running that have boats, what features are a must, and most important which finder is most user friendly, as I will have not a clue how to use one right away. I will be mostly on smaller reservoirs if that matters and price isn't to much of a concern if it has a feature that will truly help. 

Save yourself the headache, spend a lilextra, get a touch screen. Lowrance has an entry level model that'll get you started in the rt direction. Until you get up into the special 360°, panoptic, or structure scan, they're all basic sonar. Most are paired with a gps package too, get it. If money isn't an obstacle, I'd recommend a 9" touch, and if you go back a previous model year you can save quite a bit. 

HDS 9 touch is killer(gen 2). For the money you can't beat it. Just make sure the one you buy comes with the LSS-2 transducer. Then add an extra $150 for the navionics card. Learn how to run it and you'll never look back. If money is not an issue then get one for the deck too.

Unless you're totally incapable of reading through a menu, a touch screen unit is absolutely not necessary. They're nice, but it's one of the last features I would consider important. However, if price isn't an issue then, by all means. A good stand alone unit with gps and side scan would be what I would choose. I'm currently using the humminbird helix 5 units but the bigger helix units are quite a bit nicer. The absolute most important feature to me is GPS with HD mapping but if you're on a really small reservoir you might not need it as much. Side scan would be the second most important feature to me because you can really eliminate large portions of water that don't have the right type of terrain or structure that the fish are relating to. If you're only getting one unit then I would not worry about network capability. The helix units are great and they're priced right. They have an internal GPS antenna as well so no need for a separate antenna.

Lowrance makes some nice units as well although I've come to prefer Humminbird after using them for awhile. If price wasn't an issue I would get the new Helix 12 unit with 360 imaging. Expensive, but they're the absolute best.

A good graph won't make you a good fisherman but it doesn't hurt. They're a really great tool.

I would also add that a good HD mapping card from Navionics or, if you're running Humminbird, the Lakemaster card is a must. I guess that's another advantage to the Humminbird units as well since you can run Navionics or Lakemaster ,whereas with Lowrance, you cannot run Lakemaster (unless something has changed recently) because it is a Humminbird product. Either way, a mapping card (one with your home lakes on it and preferably in HD) is definitely the way to go.

I would agree that the gps is one of the more important features, , which is where a touch screen has its biggest advantages for me. Whether doing 70mph or bending over on the deck to go through the menu or type in a waypoint, I'm DONE with touch screen, it's old tech, actually surprised there's still units without. But, it's all personal preference. Ray marine and Garmin also make some sweet units. I've just had good experience with Lowrance. I wanted to like the Humminbird, has lots of features like 360°, but it just felt way too cheap to me I have both the Lss-2 on the rear, and the structure scan up front, I like the structure scan better. Really depends on what body of water you're on, I fish the delta 90% of the time where I don't use many of the features I would on a lake. Networking capability is a must for me too, plug a waypoint in one unit, and you have it in both, very effective. 

I have a raymarine on my boat..they have amazing imaging and are fairly simple to use..I fish shallow though so honestly it's GPS, waypoint and water temp..touch screen..they seem to be pricier I believe last I checked..if i were to rethink it I would prob go Lowrance and get bigger screens

So really it seems like GPS and structure scan are the two most important things looked at? As mentioned being on smaller water I probably wont need  GPS, so my focus should be on the best SI/DI finder out there.

You want to be able to mark the stuff you find that holds fish(logs,humps, bathtubs, ect.). Jace D is right about card compatability. Lakemaster is a better card but wont work in lowrance. If your on a smaller water I doubt lakemaster will cover it anyway. Youdont have to have the topo but you want to be ably to return to those exact spots. Aim small, Miss small 

You want to be able to mark the stuff you find that holds fish(logs,humps, bathtubs, ect.). Jace D is right about card compatability. Lakemaster is a better card but wont work in lowrance. If your on a smaller water I doubt lakemaster will cover it anyway. Youdont have to have the topo but you want to be ably to return to those exact spots. Aim small, Miss small

This ^