First bass of the year

mcaetano2905

Went fishing today. Cloudy/overcast with some light rain from time to time. Strong winds from SW. Big waves! Forecast was more rain and stronger wind around 12:00 and then it was going to rain all afternoon. Barometer was starting to drop. Air temp was around 58ºF. Fished only from 9:15 to 12:30. Started with a 7" Slammer with no bites or followers. Then fished a Gantarel a little. No followers or bites. Then switched to a S-Waver 168 (party crasher color). I was fishing it slowly and with a couple quick 1/2 and 1/4 reel handle turns from time to time. After the reel handle turns I stopped the bait for some seconds and saw the line moving. Reeled up and set the hook. Felt like I hooked a small bush or a wet cloth. Didn't fight much. Tried to jump once. It wasn't too fat or it could have weighted near 5lbs. It weighted 3.8lbs, my 6th biggest bass ever. It was my second bass on the S-Waver (first was a bass almost 5lbs I caught last July). Almost my PB!). Caught it as 11:30, just before it started to rain heavily and just before the winds started to get stronger! I fished areas where the waves were big and the wind very strong, but ended up catching the fish in a more protected area.

I love S-Wavers and the 168 size seems to be great to mimic the size of the prey fish big bass eat in these lakes. 

I'll try to catch a bigger bass next time!

post-21646-0-77107600-1486222346_thumb.jpg

Edited by mcaetano2905

Nice fish, Marco! Before a storm is one of my favorite and most productive times to fish!

Thanks! :) I forgot to say that this fish was 19.7" long. It's my longest bass ever! I think the one I caught in the summer was longer, but it dropped to the water when I was going to measure it. :(

Nice catch Marco! Are you catching these fish in Portugal?

Yes, I'm catching them in Portugal. We have only northern strain here, but there are not many people releasing fish (specially big fish), so, there are not many bass in most lakes and not many big bass. I'm trying to locate lakes with bigger bass and larger numbers of them. Near my village the small lakes don't have many big fish. Some reservoirs a bit bigger that are around 10 years old and are deep and with clear water seem to have bigger bass and I'm fishing them more.

• 3 weeks later...