Swimbait Rod

Rj3anderson

So I'm getting 2 customs rods made. One xxh heavy rated for 13 oz for things like the hinkle mother and 13" hiro. The other is kind of up in the air for me right now. Since it's custom I want to get made exactly what I need. So my question then is I want a rod for baitsmiths and other soft Swimbait's like alpha trouts or hudds. What is the ideal rod length, action and lure weight I should go with. I want it to be perfect or as close as you can get for the baits I just listed. Thanks guys.

No one can truly answer that question for you

You more have to narrow down your style of fishing. For some guys a more parabolic rod will be better, for some guys stiffer. Line, reel, style all come into play. Everyone's different. Personal preference

Edited by MA Frog Man

I also went the custom route to commit to hudds and I am glad I did. Real Prey Joe's buddy Corey made it for me. At first I didn't like the short handle he put on it. But he threw alot of hudds and rpj 8 inch trouts and fished alot using same rod. It is awesome and has just enough handle length to allow rod to rest under forearm rather than shoulder during the retrieve. I do mostly bottom bouncing and I feel that unmistakable tick of a hudd swallow every time. It is a fiberglass 8 foot blend on an MHX blank which is guaranteed for life and has its own serial number.

P.S. I am a big fan of old deep spool curado bantums cuz they are so painfully slow and perfect for hudd bouncing. The super slow reel allows the rod and line to become the focus. I just picked up another bantum here and I got lucky cuz I wasn't going to do another carbontex upgrade on my own. Lol This one also has a bearing upgrade which is nice too but not necessary on other one I own.

post-20499-0-65919400-1487343833_thumb.jpg

post-20499-0-91024300-1487343852_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigpoppabass