New to swimbait fishing any tips?

Rj1623

I'm new to swimbait fishing. I just started throwing a 6 in wheedles hudd last year. I picked up a few revo shads in 5in and 7 in. Any recommendations on any other go to swimbaits to add to the arsenal? Also any recommendations on how to fish them and where to fish them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Working Class Zero has a good read on how to get going at this swimbait thing as well. Believe it's called "Quest for the Cure"

Here's a little snippet:

2. LESS IS MORE. Bring only a handful of proven baits that cover the entire water column allowing you to provide different presentations in changing conditions. Literally leave everything else at home. You should get to know these 5 different baits better than anything. (Examples: Slow Sink and Fast Sink Soft bait, Glide Bait, Multi-Piece Hard bait and Surface Bait)

Get baits your rod can handle and start chucking away at key areas. Truly get to know these baits, very important.

This will help you learn how to get dialed in with the basic baits, and save a ton of money in the long run.

Once you've got it dialed in, venture out to new Baits (always what your rod can handle) and have some FUN!

Working Class Zero has a good read on how to get going at this swimbait thing as well. Believe it's called "Quest for the Cure"

Here's a little snippet:

2. LESS IS MORE. Bring only a handful of proven baits that cover the entire water column allowing you to provide different presentations in changing conditions. Literally leave everything else at home. You should get to know these 5 different baits better than anything. (Examples: Slow Sink and Fast Sink Soft bait, Glide Bait, Multi-Piece Hard bait and Surface Bait)

Get baits your rod can handle and start chucking away at key areas. Truly get to know these baits, very important.

This will help you learn how to get dialed in with the basic baits, and save a ton of money in the long run.

Once you've got it dialed in, venture out to new Baits (always what your rod can handle) and have some FUN!

This right here COULD NOT BE MORE TRUE!!!!  From personal experience I wish this is something I would have done. It will cut the learning curve in half!  Not to mention the money to be saved!!

Don't go buying the fancy expensive "hype" baits.  Stick with the baits that catch size and numbers time after time regardless ow region.  Also get a setup that will cover the spectrum of baits you want to throw.  It will not be the "BEST" for each bait but it will allow you to get confidence in all the baits without buying a bunch of rods and reels to start.  It is all personal preference on this but with a little research you will see the same choices pop up.

Dobyns 806/807/867

Okuma Guide Select "A" Series

Irod Gensis

Diawa DX Swimbait

As far as reels that is again all personal preference but you would be safe with a deep spool 200 or a 300 series reel.

A lot of this will be covered in the NOOB thread stuck at the top of the page

Any recommendations on any other go to swimbaits to add to the arsenal? 

Yes, read the noob thread pinned at the top of this forum. It has a lot of good recommendations for starter baits.

Overall, keep it simple. Buy baits by category: One wake bait, one or two jointed hard baits, one glide bait and one or two soft baits. Pick proven baits and just fish a few until you really learn how to use them. DON'T BUY ANY MORE BAITS FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTSH. By then you will understand what you like/don't like about each of them and you can start making informed purchases going forward.

Wake options: Slammer, Baby Wake, Wake Jr, any rat

Jointed baits: BBz, Triple Trout, any Freestyle

Soft baits: Hudds + Rising Sons

Glides: S-waver, shine glide

Edited by Top Ramen

Thanks guys for the help. I have been doing a lot of research and reading about beginning swimbait fishing for a while now. I have a few BBC wake baits type of quality baits your talking about?

I would say research a bait a bit before buying it. Stick with proven names for sure. So far the only "cheaper" swimbaits i have found that actually perform and are durable are the savage gear ones. Other then those i haven't found any that perform or last in a lower price range. So be prepared to invest some coin on quality ones, in the long haul you will be glad you did.