Favorite Rod/Reel setup for WRS? Deps 175? Nego?

Campobassmaster

I have these 3 baits and they are in an odd spot with my rods right now, I can throw the small glides on my 735c dobyns savvy but its a bit overloaded, but it feels a bit light on my hudd rod daiwa dx h 2-8oz and the 20lb fluoro on my hudd rod kills the action on those deps and negos. 

What rods do you guys use? and reels.

Also looking to start fishing the WRS a lot more and wondering what rod and reel you guys use? and do you think mono or fluoro matters much for them?

Thanks SU!!!

When my bum shoulder will allow, a good 85% of the time I'm fishing the WRS these days. Then bait is just a really good fit for a lot of the places I fish. I throw it on an LDC H white label paired with a Z2020H spooled with 20lb tatsu. The mistake I made for a long time was spending all available cash on baits. Reinvesting that money into a solid setup has made a world of difference for me. For what it's worth, this setup has also worked nicely for glides in the 2-4 oz range like the negotiator and SS 175. I'm able to cast accurately and with distance, and fatigue (which is unfortunately a factor for me these days) isn't as bad. I personally prefer fluoro for all of the baits you mentioned, especially the glides.

Honestly, I picked up a 795 fury to throw Arigs and it has become my favorite rod for the delta, Not only do i punch on it sometimes(not recommended but I've landed one over 7 on it soo), but its also great for the WRS. Its just really fun rod and has served me well. 

G loomis swbr904c rod hooked up with a curado 300e spooled with 20lb maxima. Max rating is 3 oz. I throw 175's and 6 inch wooden punkers without any issue imo.

If I'm not mistaken the 735c rod is intended for conventional rigs. And a max rating of 1.5oz of course its going to be overloaded.

I have one rod with multiple reels for it. I have a 2nd generation white python 2 rated 1-4oz i believe. I throw rattle traps of all sizes with a shimano calais dc with 50lb braid with my drag set low. I throw senkos, roman made ranges, proluges,lipped tricks and lunker punkers on a daiwa luna 253 with 20lb izor line. I also have a daiwa shrapnel i run 20lb cxx or 25lb cx for throwing bigger stuff or faster line pickup jobs like roman made negotiators, gan crafts, or tripple trouts. I never excede the 4oz marks and im not gentle with the rod either and it holds up fine. The rods soft tip works wonders for me working the baits. No problems yet. I have landed some nice fish with these setups and one big bass i thought was a flathead that was gonna shatter the rod,, till it spit the hook out durring a jump. Wasnt i surprised and sad at that same time

A big jig hook bait and two treble baits. I don't think you're gonna find many off the shelf rods that are "ideal" for those different lures. unless you're just talking about the weight of the lures and not the action you want from the rod.

I agree with you. I think it also depends on your hook set style (how stiff or soft the tip is), whether you swing hard like punching the mats or you reel into it like a crank bait. Whether you like to play a fish or muscle it in. The tip action really depends on your fishing style too. Think about how you usually do these things and study up on the rods mentioned above before making any decisions.

A big jig hook bait and two treble baits. I don't think you're gonna find many off the shelf rods that are "ideal" for those different lures. unless you're just talking about the weight of the lures and not the action you want from the rod.

Should have clarified, doesn't need to be one for both haha, but the WRS is a bit different with the beast hook but I get what you mean.

Thanks Anthony but he only specified Phenix rods and I was looking for reel and a line question.

Should have clarified, doesn't need to be one for both haha, but the WRS is a bit different with the beast hook but I get what you mean.

Thanks Anthony but he only specified Phenix rods and I was looking for reel and a line question.

You missed the point. It's more about the technique of fishing the bait and keeping the rod pointed at it than the line or the reel. 15-20lb flouro/mono on a reel that holds enough of said line. Simple. Fish Edited by MA Frog Man

You missed the point. It's more about the technique of fishing the bait and keeping the rod pointed at it than the line or the reel. 15-20lb flouro/mono on a reel that holds enough of said line. Simple. Fish

Thank you..and someone specified on the 3:16 site Mickey makes mention of an ideal setup soooooooo....