Split ring on rising sun

David R

Do any of you guys switch out the split ring on the 3:16 rising sun to a smaller one? Or does anybody go straight to the hook without a split ring? The stock split ring is huge and seems to affect the way or distance I can put the hook, or at least for me it does.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tied to the split ring and directly to the hook, either way the weight of the lure on cast is being distributed against the surface of the knot. The only way it won't be is if your knot was small enough to enter the tube(which the knot I use isn't that small with heavy mono) or if you used a bead or sleeve or something which has a hole big enough for the knot to enter into. Really the only difference I've noticed with the split ring is location of the hook on the bait, and maybe a tiny diffence in sink rate if any at all. I've also heard the ring is for durability reasons, but I don't understand how. I normally just use the ring because that's how it came and I never had any problems with it.

I've also heard the ring is for durability reasons, but I don't understand how. I normally just use the ring because that's how it came and I never had any problems with it.

Because the ring keeps the tension from pulling the hook and tearing the bait. The split ring gives the hook a bit of wiggle room as far as it's position when you push it into the bait.  With the ring, there is tension on against the knot, but it's not pulling on the hook.

Because the ring keeps the tension from pulling the hook and tearing the bait. The split ring gives the hook a bit of wiggle room as far as it's position when you push it into the bait. With the ring, there is tension on against the knot, but it's not pulling on the hook.

That would be assuming the hook was in the same position on the bait with or without the split ring. I always removed the split ring with the purpose of moving the hook all the way forward on the bait, so it was still the same durability, and the knot was still in the same place. That's why I ddnt understand it. Thanks for expaining that, makes sense now.