Barometric pressure and swimbait fishing

EC_Flyer

Hi all,

Been throwing swimbaits for a little while now. About to get out tomorrow after major winter storm in MA. Personally I haven't found that high and low pressure systems have as large an affect on swimbait catch rates as it dose when normal bass fishing for numbers.

This may be because getting skunked is common regardless of barometric pressure when throwing swimbaits in the Northeast. Or maybe because larger territorial fish are less affected by barometric changes. 

Was wondering about other people's experiences about fishing with swimbait during pressure changes?

Thanks

I tend to disagree, I belive barometric pressure has everthing to do with getting BIG bites. Now I'm in California(High swimsuit pressure) and your in mass so the scenarios are a little different, but I know that in california you can't get large fish to commit unless there is a storm or some sort of abnormal weather change(Like high winds). Other than that its just follows. 

I do wish ffs had barometric trend arrow on em. The key is not what pressure is but whether it is moving imo. I keep one (no battery model ) on the steps in my house for those days when I am on the ropes whether I should go out. The one I have has a dial that allows you to mark the pressure before u go to bed or whatever and u check later to see what pressure is. Again don't get too worried about exact pressure just movement. You can also check local nws readings from local airports to get hourly data but reading the dial is easier. Nws readings also make u wonder if ur model is accurate but again exact reading is not the deal. The red marker in pic is the dial that marks the time u set it.

P.S. a good source of weather info is from dog owners. They are one of the top 5 sources for me.

post-20499-0-26340200-1491131525_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigpoppabass

From my personal experience, barometric pressure doesn't really effect my swimbait fishing. And I've in fact had many more productive days fishing the absolute worst possible fishing conditions (post frontal, high pressure, cold, not a cloud in the sky, full moon previous night) than days most people condition good fishing conditions.

From my personal experience, barometric pressure doesn't really effect my swimbait fishing. And I've in fact had many more productive days fishing the absolute worst possible fishing conditions (post frontal, high pressure, cold, not a cloud in the sky, full moon previous night) than days most people condition good fishing conditions.

He's right, just go out and throw the baits; you'll be suprised. 

I was fishing a local lake yesterday, high pressure system after a week of rain; no wind, fishing for fish that I could see early Spring sunning on some fairly shallow cover that stuck out over deeper water. The fish sank into the depths, and after a few casts with an 8'' hudd I connected on a 7 10, it was a 25' cast, and I watched the fish eat it.

Moral of the story, noones got this down to an exact science.

My biggest spotted bass was caught after a horrendous cold front during a brutal high pressure system, the poor conditions didnt really cross my mind until I talked about the occasion with a friend a few days after the catch, and he highlighted the fact that the conditions were essentially 'worst case scenario' from the moon phase, to the temp etc... etc...

Update: 

Lake Massapoge sharon MA.  400 acre lake depth 40ft Max

water temp, about 38, basically just unfroze.  

1 swim bait fish 3.57 pounds hudd. 68 special,  rainbow trout color. 

a couple non swimbait bass aswell

fairly uneventful but its still cold so all in all good day. 

Just to comment on some of the previous posts, I don't think it would be fair for me to forget to say that big fish aren't like smaller fish. I find that for big bait bites, conditions don't have to be considered perfect for a big bait bite to go off( usually though the do). IK that big bait eating fish are usually locked into big bait so they take advantage of big baits when they can. So in this case I will concede that Big bait eating fish are more likely to eat during poor barometric trends than conventional bait eating fish. 

Can u pm me some of that mojo, especially the days after full moon variety. Lol That has been the worst time for me.

From my experience on the days after fronts come through, I tend to not get as many bites, but the bites I do get tend to be better than average quality fish. That's not to say every time it is that way, but that's my mind set. Knowing I may not get a lot of bites but the ones I get will tend to be better helps with my mind set. That's always been my take on it from a tournament standpoint as well as a swimbait perspective.

Edited by charlie.m.jr

I also have had some really good trips when the conditions would be considered very poor.  I guess the fish don't read the bass magazine articles.  I'd still prefer ideal conditions but if you get hung up on that you are going to miss some great fishing.  Ive also been completely skunked under "ideal" conditions.  You can overthink this stuff.

I also have had some really good trips when the conditions would be considered very poor. I guess the fish don't read the bass magazine articles. I'd still prefer ideal conditions but if you get hung up on that you are going to miss some great fishing. Ive also been completely skunked under "ideal" conditions. You can overthink this stuff.

Yep I don't get to fish much and got tired waiting around for good conditions and just started fishing every chance I got, I surprise myself sometimes on how well I do on supposively terrible conditions. I'm starting to think your gonna have a hard time predicting when or how well fish bite based on weather conditions, so just fish when you can